L.C. Sanborn, of the firm of Sanborn & Follett, proprietors of lumber yard and sawmill, (also own one-half interest in city mill and elevator), established business in 1856. The machinery for the sawmill was shipped on the first boat that landed at Sioux City. At that time there was but one store in this city. Mr. Sanborn was born in Chester, N.H., April 28th, 1827. In Jan., 1856, he came west, and in Feb. of the same year he located at this place. He voted for the first city mayor, and was a member of the city council many years; also has served as a member of the school board several times.