Capt. George S. Bacon, farmer, was born in Cayuga County, N.Y., in Sept. 1825. He moved to Washington, D.C., where he attended the Columbia College; graduated in the regular course in 1849, and afterwards taught in the College. He moved to Fairmont, W. Va.; thence in 1856 to Harrison County, Ia., and located on the farm of one hundred and forty acres, where he now resides. On this farm is an extensive orchard of fifteen hundred bearing apple trees. He enlisted in 1862, was first lieutenant of Co. C., 29th Ia. Inft., until the death of Capt. Fuller, when he was appointed Capt. He was in a number of important battles, and was wounded at Jenkins’ Ferry, Ark., left on the field for dead, captured and held in prison thirteen months. He was exchanged in May 1865, and returned with the last lot of prisoners. He was discharged in August of the same year. He has been treasurer of Harrison County two terms. In 1850 he married Mrs. Caroline Murphy, at Magnolia. They have two daughters.