Captain A.J. Millard, undertaker, corner 9th and Douglas streets, was born in Saratoga Springs, N.Y.; came west in 1856, and in November of that year located in Sioux City, where he engaged in building operations under the firm name of McDougall & Millard, and continued in the business twenty-two years. In 1861 he raised a company of one hundred men, by a special order of the war department. The company was called the Sioux City cavalry, and was engaged against the Indians. He served with that company three years, six months of the time in an official capacity, by appointment of Gen. Sully. In 1863, he accompanied Gen. S. on an expedition as bodyguard.