David Maddock, who died in 1909, was a citizen of the type and virtues who should long be remembered not only among his descendants but by all who find encouragement and inspiration in a life of practical utility and a devotion to the best interests of mankind.
Mr. Maddock lived in Champaign County for nearly half a century. He was born near West Elkton, Ohio, a son of Eli and Absillit (Woodward) Maddock. His father was a native of Ohio and his mother of North Carolina. When David was a young man, after he had obtained his education in the district schools, the family moved to Illinois and went through the experiences of pioneers on a farm in Vermilion County and later in Champaign County.
On February 21, 1861, David Maddock married Jane H. Mills. Mrs. Maddock, who is now living in the village of St. Joseph, gave him the inspiration of her presence and her companionship for nearly half a century. She is a daughter of John and Elizabeth (Mendenhall) Mills, both of whom were born in Tennessee. They first moved to Ohio and later to Vermilion County, Illinois. Mrs. Maddock completed her education in the old Vermilion Seminary near Vermilion Grove.
After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Maddock located five miles north of St. Joseph, where they bought 160 acres at $10 an acre. It was all virgin prairie, not a tree in sight, and it was possible to see over the prairies as far as Rantoul. They bought this home in 1865 and went through all the hardships and inconveniences devolved in making a good farm there. Later, in order to educate their children, Mr. and Mrs. Maddock moved to Indiana, and lived in that state for fifteen years.
Their six children were Oliver W., John M., Cora Ellen, William E., Anna E. and Emma J. They received their first advantages in the Stanton District School No. 4 and afterwards attended the Quaker school known as Bloomingdale Academy in Indiana. From the first Mr. and Mrs. Maddock endeavored to give their children every possible advantage. The three younger children completed their education in the famous old Quaker school, Earlham College, at Richmond, Indiana.
The oldest of the children, Oliver W., is a farmer three and a half miles north of St. Joseph. He married Lutora Thompkins, and their children are Edward W., Clifton, Earl, Lowell and Russell. Of these Edward and Clifton were educated in the St. Joseph High School, while Earl spent two years in the special study of agriculture in the University of Illinois. Earl is a successful farmer, and has been honored with the position of deacon in the New Light Church.
The son John M. is in the jewelry business at Manhattan, Kansas. He married Grace Lamb, and their only child, Ralph, is now in the new National Army as a soldier. The daughter Cora Ellen is the wife of Charles Digby, and their home is at Charleston, Illinois. Their four children are Loren, Clara E., Paul and Charles. William E. is a school superintendent at Butte, Montana. He married Lida Shobe and has two daughters, Margaret and Helen. Anna E. is the wife of Dr. W. W. Pretts of Platteville, Wisconsin. Their three children are Elizabeth, Mary and William. The youngest of the children, Emma J., is the wife of Rev. Clarence Burkholder of Alpena, Michigan. They have a family of five children: Evelyn, Irene, Clarence E., Lucile and Henry.
After the education of their children was finished in Indiana, Mr. and Mrs. Maddock returned to Champaign County, lived in the village of St. Joseph eighteen months, and then went back to their old farm. They erected a fine new home and surrounded themselves with every comfort that goes with modern rural life. Mr. Maddock always took an active interest in his church, served it as overseer and Sunday school superintendent, and was a man of public spirit in every sense of the word. He was school director, township treasurer, town clerk and commissioner, and the last work of his life was in connection with the schools. He and his wife had driven to St. Joseph to look after some school matters, and after they returned home that evening he was stricken with a pain about his heart and died of neuralgia before 1 o’clock the next morning. Mrs. Maddock after the death of her beloved companion remained on the home farm until 1916, when she bought an attractive home on Main Street in the village of St. Joseph, where she now lives surrounded with good neighbors and with many friends, and with an unclouded retrospect over the past she looks forward to the future with anticipation and a hope born of a true Christian life.