Dixon, James J. A. T. dealer in dry goods, groceries, hardware, etc., opened business in February 1882 and carry a stock of $3,500. Mr. Dixon first came to Bunker Hill October 5, 1872 for his health, and after eighteen months he began agricultural pursuits and became pastor of the Congregational Church, since which time he has followed preaching irregularly. In the fall of 1875 he was elected to represent Russell County in Kansas State Legislature. Re-elected to same position in the fall of 1876. He was appointed to fill vacancy of Probate Judge in 1878, elected to the office the fall following. He has been a member of the County Board for examination of teachers for eight years.
Born in Bond County, Ill. in 1828. Raised on a farm. Began studies for college in 1846. Graduated from college at Jacksonville, Ill., in 1852 Studied theology at Lane Seminary, Walnut Hills, Ohio. Was principal of an academy in Livingston County, Ill., eighteen months. He then began preaching the Gospel at Metamora, Ill.
Went into service in the spring of 1864 as a private in Company H, One Hundred and Forty-sixth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He was commissioned Chaplain of his regiment with the rank of Major and served until mustered out, September 1, 1865. He then preached in Northern Illinois until 1871 when he came to Omaha, Neb. and preached two years, thence to Kansas. Began the publication of Bunker Hill Banner in February 1881. He is a nominee on the Republican ticket to represent Russell County in Kansas Legislature, in the fall 1882.
Married in 1854 to Miss Anna L. Holmes of Grant County, Wis. They have two children: Lydia F., now married to Wm. Harbaugh of Russell County, and Ernest H.