Collection: People of One Fire

Native American History of Liberty County, Florida

Liberty County is in a region of Florida with a rich Native American heritage. Due to the sandy soil and periodic floods on the Apalachicola River, most mounds built by its original inhabitants have disappeared. However, several known village sites remain intact. Most are near the banks of the Apalachicola River and therefore, partially protected from development by the U. S. Army Corps of Engineers. The inhabitants of Liberty County when the region was first entered by Europeans were the Apalachicola. They were Muskogeans, and early members of the Creek Confederacy, but originally spoke an entirely different language than Muskogee.

Native American History of Holmes County, Florida

Holmes County is located in northwestern Florida. It is named after a Creek mikko (chief) named Holmes, who settled in the region, but was killed by Andrew Jackson’s army in 1818. Its northern boundary is the Geneva County, AL line. Its eastern boundary is Jackson County, FL. To the west is Holmes County, FL and the south, is Calhoun County, FL. Its southern boundary is Washington County, FL, while its western boundary is Walton County Florida. Its county seat is Bonafay. The Choctawhatchee River flows through the center of Holmes County and flows southward into Washington County. Much of Holmes

Native American History of Bay County, Florida

Bay County is located in northwestern Florida. It was named after St. Andrews Bay, when the county was created in 1913. The county seat and largest city in the county is Panama City. Its northern boundary is Washington County, FL. Its northeastern boundary is Jackson County, FL. To the east is Calhoun County, FL; to the west is Walton County, FL and the southeast, is Gulf County, FL. The Gulf of Mexico forms its southwestern boundary. Much of Bay County is characterized by bays, bayous, tidal creeks, tidal marshes, freshwater lakes and freshwater swamps. The Choctawhatchee River flows through the

Native American History of Troup County, Georgia

Troup County is located in west central Georgia. It was named after George M. Troup, who was the 35th governor of Georgia, a member of the House of Representatives and a United States Senator. Troup and his first cousin, Creek Mekko (town leader) William McIntosh, played a critical role in the removal of Creeks Indians from western Georgia. Troup County is bounded on the northeast by Coweta County, GA. On the east, it adjoins Meriwether County, GA. On the south, it is bordered by Harris County, GA. The county’s western boundaries are formed by Chambers County, AL and Randolph County,

Native American History of Towns County, Georgia

The Hiwassee River Valley of Georgia, North Carolina and Tennessee played very important roles in both Native American history and the Early Colonial Era. In 1562, Captain René Goulaine de Laudonnière led a party of French Huguenots up the Savannah River and then westward on the Unicoi Trail to the Nacoochee Valley and what is now, Towns County. The Frenchmen developed friendly relations with the Apalachee and Itsati Natives, who then occupied the region. He named the Appalachian Mountains after them. For the next 200 years, the majestic scene of the Nantahala Mountains overlooking the Hiwassee River graced French maps,

Native American History of Telfair County, Georgia

Telfair County is located in south-central Georgia. It is named after Edward Telfair, an important leader of Georgia during the Revolution and early days of statehood. He had just died when Telfair County was created from ceded Creek lands. The county seat is McRae. Edward Telfair was born in Scotland in 1735 and died in Georgia in 1807. After immigrating to Virginia to be an agent for a Scottish mercantile firm, Telfair first moved to North Carolina and then settled permanently in Georgia. He immediately began assembling large tracts of land in St. Paul’s Parish, what was to become Burke

Native American History of Stewart County, Georgia

Stewart County is located in southwest Georgia, south of Columbus and Fort Benning. It was named after Brig. General Daniel Stewart, a commander in the Georgia Militia during the American Revolution and the War of 1812. Stewart was the great-grandfather of President Theodore Roosevelt. The county seat of Stewart County is the town of Lumpkin. Stewart County is bounded on the north by Chattahoochee County, GA. On the south, it is bordered by Randolph County, GA. The county’s western boundaries are formed by the Chattahoochee River, the Alabama State Line, Barbour County, AL and Russell County, AL. On the east,

Native American History of Seminole County, Georgia

Seminole County is named after the Seminole Indians. Its county seat is Donalsonville. It is located in the far southwestern corner of Georgia and adjoins both Alabama and Florida. Maps of the late 1700s and early 1800s labeled the Hitchiti-Creek Indians in Southwest Georgia, who were not members of the Muskogee-Creek Confederacy, as Seminoles. Some of these villages and farmsteads eventually moved to Alabama and joined the Creek Confederacy, while others moved southward into Florida, after 1721, when Florida became part of the United States. Up until around 1843 there were still substantial numbers of Creek and Yuchi Indians in

Native American History of Rockdale County, Georgia

Rockdale County located in northern Georgia and is part of the Atlanta Standard Metropolitan Statistical Area (SMSA.) It’s name honors the strata of granite that lays under the county. The county seat is Conyers. Rockdale County is bordered on the north by Gwinnett County. On the east is bordered by both Walton and Newton Counties. On the south it is bordered by Henry County and on the west by DeKalb County. Geology and hydrology Rockdale County was located in the Piedmont geological region, which is characterized by underlying rock strata of igneous and metamorphicized igneous rock. The Piedmont’s terrain generally

Native American History of Randolph County, Georgia

Randolph County is located in southwest Georgia. It was named after John Randolph of Virginia, a prominent Congressman and spokesman for states rights during the late 1700s and early 1800s. The county seat of Randolph County is the town of Cuthbert. Randolph County is bounded on the north by Stewart County, GA. On the southeast, it is bordered by County and southwest by Clay County. The county’s western boundaries are formed by the Quitman County. On the east it is bordered by Terrill County, GA. On the northeast, it is bordered by Webster County, GA Geology and hydrology Randolph County