This collection consists of 412 brief biographical sketches and 3 short sketches of companies extracted from the History of Western Iowa. It contains sketches from Harrison, Ida, Manona, and Woodbury Counties in Iowa. The sketches are sorted alphabetically by first name.
Collection: History of Western Iowa
James E. Booge, of the firm of J.E. Booge & Co., pork packers, was born in Pittsford, Rutland County, Vt.; came to Sioux City in 1858, and has been engaged in his present business since 1869. This firm sells their hams for the north and west; mess pork to the north, and the government; their sides for the local trade and the south, and their lard to Chicago. Capital required in operating the business, about $500,000. During the year, 1881, they erected extensive buildings of brick and stone, five stories high, at a cost of $100,000. The works cover an
D.D. Adams, of the firm of Devore & Adams, auctioneers and commission merchants-who established business at Sioux City in 1869-was born in 1848; served in the U.S.A. one and one-half years under Colonel LaGrange, in Co. B., 1st. W.C. He lost a brother at Helena, Ark., who was captain of the company. Previous to coming to this place, the subject of this sketch was engaged in business three years in Wis.
A. Akin, of the firm of Akin & Shulson, dealers in staple and fancy groceries, confectionery, etc., Chicago House, 4th St., Sioux City, Ia., was born in Otsego County, N.Y., March 8th, 1810. In 1827, he moved to Penn.; removed to Belvidere, Ill., in 1844; thence to Elgin, and from there to Chicago in 1852, where he served as justice of the peace and police magistrate for seven years, and also practiced law. He received a commission from President Lincoln to recruit. In 1864, he moved to Kansas, where he was for several years register in the U. S. land
Hon. S.T. Davis, attorney at law and dealer in real estate, was born in Pennsylvania in 1828; was educated at Alleghany College, at Meadowville, Pennsylvania; came to Sioux City in 1856, and has been identified with many leading enterprises for the benefit of his adopted city. He was the founder of the Sioux City Journal, and with others organized the S.C.&P.R.R., and has taken an active interest in the construction of other roads leading into the city. He was appointed by President Lincoln register of the U.S. land office, which position he held for eighteen months. He was elected to
Willis G. Clark, attorney at law and justice of the peace, was born in Penobscot Co., Maine, in 1853. He came to Minn., with his parents in 1857, and settled in Dakota Co. He is a graduate of Browns University, of Providence, R.E. He came to Sioux City in 1878, and was elected justice of the peace in 1880. Mr. C. has been actively engaged in local politics, and is a rising young attorney.
A. DePee, proprietor of the National House, corner of 3d and Nebraska streets, has lately remodeled and refurnished this hotel, and made it one of the best $1.00 per day houses in the city; has no bar connected with the house. He was born in Ind., in June 1836, and removed in 1856 to Wis.; came to Iowa in April, 1869, and settled on a homestead in Woodbury County, where he farmed six and one-half years. He served in the U.S.A. one year, in Co. H, 46th W.V.I. under Captain Hoskins and Colonel Lovell.
H.B. Clinton, of the firm of H.B. & C.E. Clignan, physicians and surgeons, was born in O., in 1822; is a graduate of the Cleveland Medical College. He practiced in O.; from 1848 to 1855; then moved to Benton Co., Iowa, and practiced there until 1877, when he came to Sioux City and opened his present office with his son C.E. Clingan.
A.D. Bedford, M.D., was born in Pennsylvania, in 1848; graduated from Alleghany College in 1873; studied two terms at Tubingen, Germany, in 1874 and 1875. He was a teacher in the military school at Poughkeepsie, N.Y., during the year 1876; and in 1877, graduated from the Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia. Came to Iowa, and practiced medicine in Waterloo two years, and came to Sioux City in 1879; was married in June, 1880, to R. McNeal, of Waterloo.
Geo. W. Beggs, M.D., is the son of the Rev. S.R. Beggs, the author of “Early Methodism in the West.” He was born in Ill., in 1837, graduated from Evanston College in the literary department, and received the degree of A.M., and from the Rush Medical College, Chicago, in 1862, where he received the degree of D.D. During the late war, he was surgeon of the 105th Ill. regiment, and was with Gen. Sherman in his famous march to the sea. He came to Sioux City in 1866, and was married in 1865 to Lillian A. Sims. They have three