H. Titchenal, of Santa Ana, was born in Harrison County, West Virginia, January 2, 1817, a son of John R. and Rebecca (Harbertt) Titchenal, both natives of West Virginia. His father, a black-smith by trade, moved to Missouri in 1819, and in 1833 to the vicinity of Fort Smith, Arkansas, where he died January 16, 1831.
The second of his nine children, the subject of this sketch, and a sister, are the only surviving members of the family. Mr. Titchenal was brought up to the life of a stock-raiser. From 1835 to 1852 he followed his calling, and also mercantile business, after 1849, in Texas. He then came overland through Mexico to the Pacific Coast and then by sail to San Francisco, landing July 9, 1852. After following mining and teaming for awhile, he moved to San Juan, in Monterey County; was a resident of Mariposa County from 1855 to 1868, and March 4, 1869, he started for Southern California, arriving at Santa Ana November 9. He first bought two lots and followed farming and. teaming.
In 1871 he bought thirty-six acres of land and erected the first dwelling-house in Santa Ana, on lots No. 8 and 9. In 1881-86 he built the Titchenal block, on Fourth street, at a cost of about $16,000. The structure is a fine two-story brick, with seventy-five feet frontage and eight five feet deep. As a business man Mr. Titchenal has been very successful, and as a citizen his record is beyond reproach. In former years he was connected with the Methodist Episcopal Church South, but of late years lie worships with the ” Holiness” branch of the church.
In 1838 he went from Arkansas on a visit to his friends in Ohio, where he met and married Miss Sarah Ann Dickason, January 29, 1839, and they have had eleven children, only five of whom are now living, namely: Susan E., now Mrs. McHenry Morrison; John Jackson; Martha J., wife of N. T. Settle; David D., and Samuel H., proprietor of the candy store in Santa Ana.