About 1760, two brothers, Thomas and Samuel Leighton, came from Falmouth to this River. Samuel settled on the lot now in possession of Richard P. Willey. His sons were Theodore Leighton, Isaac Leighton, Parritt Leighton and Phineas Leighton. Thomas Leighton, the brother of Samuel Leighton, settled upon a lot at the head of Pigeon Hill Bay. He had a family of six sons and five daughters. Robert, Joseph, Thomas, Annie, Molly, James, Ross, Abigail, Betsey, Sarah and Benjamin. Nearly at the same time that Thomas and Samuel Leighton came and settled, Thomas Leighton 2d came from Dover, N. H., to Gouldsboro. His wife was Lydia Tracy. It is not known that there was any relationship between these two Thomas Leightons. From Gouldsboro, Thomas 2d soon removed to Steuben and settled upon the lot afterwards known as the Henry Leighton lot. He had ten children, Jonathan, Mark, Charity, Alexander, Hatevil, Pamelia, Isaiah, Daniel, Israel and Asa.
A collection of portraits with biographical sketches of residents of the state of Maine who have achieved success and are prominent in commercial, industrial, professional, and political life, to which is added the portraits and sketches of all the governors since the formation of the state of Maine in 1820.
George Spracklin, son of Peter Spracklin and Elizabeth Andrews, continued living in Dudley Township, Hardin Co., Ohio. There he met Arloa Turner Minor and was married 9 April 1840, Knox Co., Ohio. In December of 1864 George bought land here in Shelby Co., Illinois in Drypoint Township. He paid $3680 for 200 acres south of Lakewood, Ill; in 1865, he and his family lived in Edwards County, Ill. before moving to Shelby County. By 1868 George owned 300 acres in Shelby County. Arloa, George’s wife, died in July, 1892 and is buried in Red Bank Cemetery, land formerly owned by George
Geo. W. Wakefield, attorney at law, was born in DeWitt County, Ill., in 1839. He enlisted in Co. F., 41st Ill. Vol., and served three years; was wounded at Jackson, Miss., and returned to Ill. He was admitted to the bar in De Witt County in 1867; came to Sioux City in 1868, and was elected county auditor in 1869, serving three years, after which he resumed the practice of the law.
DR. JAMES H. WAKEFIELD is a native of Rockport, Ind., where he was born August 14, 1821. At the age of twelve years he removed with his parents to Spencer County, Ky., where he grew to man-hood. His father, James Wakefield, was born 1790, in Nelson County, Ky.; removed to Indiana in 1818; thence to Todd County, Ky., in 1848, where he died in 1856. He was the son of John, of Pennsylvania, who previous to 1775 immigrated to Kentucky, where he died in about 1815. Subject’s mother, Elizabeth, daughter of James Heady, of Nelson County, Ky., was born in
POLLY WAKEFIELD, now 95 years of age, the oldest person now living in town, is the widow of Maj. Josiah Wakefield, of Newport, and daughter of Phineas Newton, who came to Croydon in 1772, from Worcester, Mass.
AMOS WAKEFIELD, son of Amos and Chloe Cooper Wakefield, and grandson of Dea. Sherman Cooper, is a Methodist clergyman at the West.