This cemetery is located on land once owned by J. Daubenspeck, and thus its name. At one time a Methodist Church stood here, and presumably this cemetery is associated with that church. It is located on 96th Street, near State Road 421. There were many broken or buried stones not transcribed below. This cemetery is also known as Calvary Cemetery.
Dr. Walter Silas Haven, engaged in the practice of medicine and surgery in Racine, is a medical graduate of the Northwestern University and after two years’ hospital experience he came to this city, where he has since successfully followed his profession. He was born in Racine County, February 9, 1862, and is a son of George Silas and Jane (Jones) Haven, the former a native of Cheltenham, Ontario, and the latter of Caernarvonshire, Wales. The paternal grandfather, Isaac Haven, was also a native of England and was a veteran of the war with Napoleon, serving as surgeon in the English
Mrs. Nora (Van Horn) Havens. Long, honorably and prominently associated with business and public affairs in different sections of Kansas, the names of Van Horn and of Havens still represent very important interests. The Van Horn name had been a familiar one in Kansas since 1857, and that of Havens for the past forty-six years. A well-known representative of both is found in Mrs. Nora (Van Horn) Havens, a highly esteemed resident of Minneapolis, Kansas. Mrs. Havens was educated at Topeka, Kansas, but her birth took place at Kent, in Jefferson County, Indiana. Her parents were Benjamin Franklin and Elizabeth
Paul E. Havens. The late Paul E. Havens, one of the pioneers of Leavenworth, and whose name is closely interwoven with the material growth and prosperity of the city, was a man of unusual force of character. He was born at Ephratah, Fulton County, New York, May 4, 1839, and was a son of C. D. P. and Eleanor (Frey) Havens, a grandson of Paul and Anne (Kennedy) Havens, and a great-grandson of Daniel and Elizabeth (Bostwick) Havens. The progenitor of this family in America was William Havens, a native of Wales, who located at Portsmouth, Rhode Island, in 1636.
MIRANDA HAVEN, youngest child of Rev. Jacob and Asenath Havea, was born March 8, 1799, married William Armes, Esq., of Stanstead, Canada East. They afterwards removed to Sherbrook, C. E., where he died and where his widow still remains. They had six children. ADELINE ASENATH married Samuel Tusk, of Sherbrook. MIRANDA married Thomas Goldsmith, a successful goldsmith at Troy, N. Y. ADELIA married John McNeil, and CALISTA Lemuel Farewell, both residing at Sherbrook. WILLIAM, the son, went to California.
REV. JACOB HAVEN, son of David Haven, was born at Framingham, Mass., April 25, 1763. He graduated at Harvard College in 1785, studied theology with Rev. Mr. Kellogg of his native town, and was ordained and settled at Croydon, June 18, 1788. As a preacher, his sermons were always terse and logical, and his oratory solemn and impressive. He was Town Clerk thirty-one years. He died March 17, 1845, at the advanced age of eighty-two years. As he was the first, and for more than half a century almost the only clergyman in town, he is, and will long continue
WHIPPLE HAVEN, a brother of the above, married Judith Stow, an aunt of Baron Stow; was a cabinet maker at the East Village, and is remembered as a worthy man and good mechanic.
HANNAH HAVEN, daughter of Rev. Jacob Haven, and second wife of Simeon Wheeler, was born April 28,1795, and died at Newport, Dec. 20,1842. She was an intelligent and well educated lady, and much beloved by her associates. She was the mother of several children, some of whom survived her and partake of the mental and moral qualities which distinguished her. JACOB W., a young man of much promise, and a printer and editor by profession, died in 1853. Lucy P. married Frederick Stevens, Esq., and resides with her husband and young family in Minnesota. HANNAH, her youngest surviving daughter, married