It was fifteen years after the admission of Vermont into the Federal Union, and forty years after the settlement of the town, before Norwich had a post office. The first post office was established at Norwich Plain, July 1, 1805, and Jacob Burton was appointed postmaster. Postmaster Burton kept the office in his harness shop on the main street of the village, nearly opposite the present residence of Mrs. William E. Lewis. Probably the duties of the office were not so great as to interfere much with the prosecution of his trade. It is doubtful if Mr. Burton had more
Private, Inf., L Co., 81st Div., 321st Reg.; son of C. B. and Rosa Bunton, of Cabarrus County. Husband of Mrs. Susie Bunton. Entered service May 25, 1918, at Winston-Salem, N.C. Sent to Camp Jackson. Transferred to Camp Sevier and to Camp Upton. Sailed for France Aug. 1, 1918. Fought at St. Die Sector, Meuse-Argonne. Returned to USA New York, May 28, 1919. Mustered out at Camp Mills, June 9, 1919.
Private, 1st class, Inf., Co. L, 30th Div., 118th Reg.; son of C. B. and Rosa Bunton, of Cabarrus County. Entered service April 17, 1917, at Concord, N.C. Sent to Camp Sevier, S. C. Mustered out at Camp Sevier, S. C., June 17, 1919.