East Oregonian, August 30, 1991
John C. Snyder, 94, of Pendleton, died Thursday, Aug. 29, 1991, at Good Samaritan Nursing Center in Hermiston. A graveside service will be held at Olney Cemetery on Saturday at 10 a.m. Friends may call at Bishop Funeral Chapel until 8 p.m. today.
Mr. Snyder was born June 24, 1897 in Pendleton to Elmer and Margaret Schomerus Snyder. He grew up in Pendleton and attended local schools.
He married Marie Hunt and the couple moved to Pilot Rock where they ranched along Yellow Jacket Road for several years prior to moving to Pendleton in 1930. Mr. Snyder farmed with his brother on the family place in Despain Gulch.
After Mrs. Snyder’s death, he was employed as a card dealer at the Club Cigar in Pendleton for many years. On Jan. 20, 1942, he married Josephine [Edwards] Hyde at Walla Walla. They moved back to the ranch at Pilot Rock where he raised turkeys, cattle and wheat during the summer and spent the winter months in California.
He was a ranch caretaker near Stanfield before returning to Pendleton where he managed several different motels until his retirement in the 1970s. He had been in Hermiston for the past nine months. His wife, Jo, died in 1990.
Mr. Snyder had been a member of Pendleton Masonic Lodge No. 52 for over 50 years. Survivors include a son, Jack, of Stanfield; a daughter, Isabelle Swett of Lakewood, Calif.; stepsons, Robert Hyde of Renton, Wash., and Richard Hyde of Cottage Grove, Minn.; a sister, Evelyn Andreassen of Pendleton; 11 grandchildren, numerous great grandchildren and three great great grandchildren.
Contributed by: Shelli Steedman