John Arthur Spengler, M. D., son of John and Elizabeth (Von Huben) Spengler, was born in Geneva, March 10, 1868. His preparatory studies were pursued at the Geneva high school, from which he entered Hobart College and was graduated in 1893. He subsequently studied at Cornell University, taking the degree of Bachelor of Science in 1895; he attended medical lectures at the University of Buffalo, graduating a Doctor of Medicine in 1899. He also received from Hobart College the degree of M. L. in 1897, and that of D. C. L. was conferred upon him by the University of Nashville (Tennessee), in 1899.
Being thus fully equipped as a physician and specialist in ophthalmology, Dr. Spengler began the practice of medicine at Geneva in 1899, making a specialty of ophthalmology, and the encouragement he has received during the past twelve years from a large and constantly increasing practice is not only sufficient to warrant his expectation of remaining there for life, but is eminently conclusive of his professional success. Having attained a position of high rank in his special field of science, his practice necessarily covers a wide expanse of territory, extending from New York City to Pennsylvania, and the larger part of it comes from out of town. His office furnishings and laboratory equipment’s are unsurpassed in any similar establishment in the state, and in the grinding and finishing of his lenses he uses the finest instruments and appliances obtainable. He and his brother Fred were the founders and incorporators of the Spengler Optical Company, at Geneva, New York, which was incorporated in 1901, our subject being the president and treasurer; they manufacture various kinds of optical goods and novelties.
Dr. Spengler is a leading member of the Geneva Medical Society and has served as its secretary for seven years. He is well advanced in the Masonic Order, being a member of Ark Lodge, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons; Geneva Chapter, Royal Arch Masons; Geneva Commandery, Knights Templar, of which latter he is past treasurer; Grotto Temple, Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, and the New York Consistory, thirty-second degree. He is ex-president of the Delta Sigma fraternity and has held all of the other offices in that body; is fleet surgeon of the Geneva Yacht Club; a member of the University Club of Geneva, and is secretary of the board of trustees of the Endymion Military Academy, located at Maple Hill, Geneva. In addition to the above-mentioned organizations he is actively identified with religious work, being a trustee and recording steward of the Methodist Episcopal church; has served as soloist of the choir for the past twenty years; teaches a Bible class in the Sunday school; and is chairman of the building committee having charge of the erection of a new church edifice which will be in process of construction in the spring of 1911, at a cost of sixty thousand dollars. He is also active in the Young Men’s Christian Association.
Dr. Spengler married, June 17, 1907, Edna MacVicar, born in Clyde, New York, June 20, 1874. She is of Scotch descent and a daughter of John D. MacVicar, a veteran of the civil war and at the present time connected with the Democrat and Chronicle of Rochester, New York. Dr. Spengler has one daughter, Mabel Cecilia, born November 24, 1909. After the death of his sister. Mrs. Vernon S. Stone, he assumed the care of his niece, Marian Elizabeth, and is rearing and educating her as his child.