William J. Le Roy, son of James Le Roy, was born in Wayne county, New York, May 25, 1852. He moved with his parents to Phelps, Ontario county, when he was a small boy and was educated there in the public schools. He has always been a farmer. He has been enterprising, industrious and progressive and commands the respect and confidence of all his townsmen. He has traveled extensively in the western states and is a man of wide information and liberal ideas. He is a member of the Methodist church, of which he has been a steward since 1903 and member of the official board. He was superintendent of the Sunday school for three years and sang in the choir for twenty years. He was chairman of the building committee. In 1907 he was appointed by the county judge one of the commissioners in charge of the construction of drainage ditches to reclaim the swamps in the town and he was secretary and treasurer of the commission. The cost of this work was about $9,000. He is a member of Wide-Awake Grange, Patrons of Husbandry and was master two years and held other offices in that body. He is a member of the Fruit Growers’ Association. For a number of years he has been a school trustee of the district. In politics he is a Republican.