Marvin A., son of Brownell (2) Wilbur, was born at Hamilton, Madison county, New York, January 9, 1837. He attended the public schools and was graduated from Madison (now (1910) Colgate) University. He taught in Rose Valley, Butler and North Rose public schools. In 1858 he gave up teaching on account of ill health and located on a farm in Victor, also assisting his father in conducting the homestead there in connection with a milling business. From 1860 to 1862 he was in the oil fields of Pennsylvania. He afterward conducted the farm until he sold it, and moved to a house in the village of Victor, October 1, 1864. He then bought the mill and business of a Mr. Brown in Victor and continued in that business for ten years. He became a dealer in horses, buying and selling thoroughbreds. Five years later he purchased a one-half interest in the banking firm of Parmele & Hamlin, later know (1910) n as Higginbotham & Wilbur, in Victor, and from 1888 to 1898 the firm enjoyed a flourishing business. He retired from the firm in 1898. In politics he is a Democrat; in 1866 he was highway commissioner, was trustee of the first school district of Victor six years; trustee of the incorporated village two terms; supervisor of the town eight years and chairman of the board. In 1885 he was appointed by President Cleveland deputy collector of internal revenue. In religion he is a Presbyterian and was formerly chairman of the board of trustees. He is a director of the Canandaigua National Bank, of which he was one of the founders. He married, in Victor, in 1871, Ida M. Dewey. Children: Lee J., born December 17, 1872; Laura E.. born in Victor, August 12, 1887, resides with her parents in Victor.