John Gillette (2) was born in Palmyra, Wayne county, New York, November 18, 1838. He was a student at the Palmyra Classical School, from which he was graduated, and then commenced the reading of law in the office and under the preceptorship of judge McLouth, of Palmyra, being admitted to the bar in June, 1864. He removed to Canandaigua in the fall of the same year, and immediately opened an office and established himself in the practice of the profession, with which he has been successfully identified to the present time. His political affiliations have always been with the Republican party, to which he has given strong support.
Mr. Gillette married, 1865, Harriet A., daughter of William F. Jarvis and Harriet Maxon, of Palmyra, New York. Children: Margaret, married Assemblyman J. L. Burnett, of Canandaigua, who died in April, 1907; George W., a lawyer who formerly was engaged in practice in Buffalo, New York, and is now (1910) connected with a manufacturing plant in Columbus, Ohio.