Edward H. Sturtevant, Treasurer of the Franklin Needle Company, manufacturers of solid riveted latch needles at Franklin, N.H., was born in Craftsbury, Vt., April 27, 1845, son of Hiram and Eliza S. (Corey) Sturtevant. His paternal grandfather was Ezra T. Sturtevant, a mill man and wool-carder, also a manufacturer of coffins. He married Lucy Merryfield.
Hiram Sturtevant was a farmer early in life; but in 1866 he sold his farm, and went into the manufacture of sashes, doors, blinds, and furniture, in Lebanon, N.H., continuing in this business for about three years, when he sold out to his partners. Then he went into the shoe business, in which he continued until he retired. He died December 8, 1885. His widow resides most of the time with her daughter, Mrs. D. G. Thompson, in Montreal.
They had four children: Edward H., the eldest, is the subject of our sketch; Mary E., born in August, 1847, is the wife of D. G. Thompson, of Montreal, General Manager of the Montreal Transportation Company; Ezra T., born in May, 1849, now a lumber dealer in Chicago, Ill., married Mary Ida Thompson, of Woodstock, Vt.; Henry H., the youngest child, born in April, 1851, married Ella Hill, Belmont, Mass., and now carries on a large department store in Zanesville, Ohio.
Having received a good education, Edward H. Sturtevant began at the age of seventeen to teach school in Barton, Vt. After teaching for a while, he entered the employ of William Joslyn & Son, druggists, with a view of learning the business. Two years later he accepted a position in this line in Wellington, Ohio, remaining there for two years. At the expiration of this time he went into the drug business for himself at Lebanon. In a few months he had established a prosperous, paying business; and then at the earnest solicitation of the village physician he sold it out to him at a goodly advance over its cost. His former employers, learning of this, urged him to unite with them in opening a drug store in Colebrook, which he did; and, after remaining there one year, he sold out to them. His next venture was with his brother in Woodstock, Vt., where they kept boots and shoes as well as drugs, and were in business for five years. When they sold out his brother went West.
Mr. Edward H. Sturtevant came to Franklin in 1876, and bought out George Procter’s two drug stores, one at Franklin and the other at Franklin Falls. In 1881 he bought one-half interest in the Franklin Needle Company, and undertook the management of the concern, with the additional duties of Treasurer. The President of the company is Mr. H. J. Odell, now of Laconia. It is the largest factory of the kind in the United States, employing two hundred hands; and its goods are shipped to all parts of the United States and Canada, and some are exported. Mr. Sturtevant is a Director of the Franklin Power and Light Company and Vice-President of the company. He is President and Director of the Franklin Falls Company, Director of the First National Bank of Franklin, and Trustee of the Franklin Savings Bank. He has been as prominent in political as in business circles, and in 1893 he represented the town in the legislature. In 1896, to the satisfaction of his fellow-citizens, he filled the office of Mayor of Franklin.
In May, 1869, he married Miss Ada E. Martin, of Stratford, N.H., daughter of Joseph and Alvira Martin. Her father was a lumberman and farmer. Mr. and Mrs. Sturtevant have two children: Eva E., born in October, 1875, now at Burnham School, North Hampton; and Ruth B., born in October, 1884.
Mr. Sturtevant is a member of Meridian Lodge, F. & A. M.; Franklin Chapter, R. A. M.; Mount Horeb Commandery, K. T., of Concord; and of Merrimac Lodge, I. O. O. F. He is a member of the Unitarian Society. Capable and diligent in application, he has been successful in business through life, and is a leading man in his city.