In the subject of this sketch we have one of the earliest settlers in Daviess County and one of the first white children born in the township. He was a son of William Roper and Polly, his wife, who settled here in 1835. He was born in Marion Township, January 8, 1836. His father died August 4, 1864, and his mother in 1868. What education young Roper received was in walking from three to four miles to the primitive school-houses made of poles and without floor or door, for a few months in the winter season. On May 2d, 1858, he was married to Miss M. E. Morris, who was a native of Daviess County, and born October 5, 1841; she was a daughter of Charles and Lois Morris, both natives of Kentucky, and early settlers in this county. Her father died in 1852; her mother is still a resident of this county. By this union they have six children: William T., born April 29; 1859; and Charles M., born July 15, 1861, are leading teachers; Mary A., born February 25, 1863, and now the wife of A. D. Duke; Minnie M., born July 17, 1869; Clara, born December 8, 1872: and James G., born October 14, 1865, died December 27,1865. When Mr. Roper started in life for himself he had but a horse and cow, but he and his wife went to work with a will, and by their united industry and prudence have secured a fine home of 144 acres of land in the choicest part of Daviess County. He was a member of the State Militia during the war. He has served for a long time as a school officer. The parents and three eldest children are members of the, Missionary Baptist Church.