Location: Warren County PA

Cornplanter Reservation and Occupants, 1890

This reservation, in Warren County, Pennsylvania, nominally a tract of 640 acres, owned by Cornplanter‘s heirs, lies on both sides of the Allegheny River, and is about 2 miles long and half a mile wide, including Liberty and Donation Islands, which are formed by the forking of the river. The land surface, including the riverbed and some worthless shoals, contains about 760 acres. It was a donation to the celebrated chief Gy-ant-wa-hia, “The Cornplanter“, March 16, 1796, by the state of Pennsylvania, in consideration, states Judge Sherman, “for his many valuable services to the white people, and especially that most

Map of the Country of the Five Nations

Reservations of the Six Nations in New York and Pennsylvania, 1723-1890

The accompanying map was prepared in 1771 under the direction of William Tryon, captain general and governor in chief of the province of New York, and is as nearly suggestive of the then recognized boundary of the Six Nations as any that has had official sanction. In 1851 Lewis H. Morgan, assisted by Ely S. Parker, a Seneca chief; and afterward an efficient staff Officer of General Grant, and the Commissioner of Indian Affairs, prepared a map for a volume entitled League of the Iroquois, which aimed to define the villages, trails, and boundaries of the Five Nations as they

Biography of Paul J. McBride

Every one who had had any relations with the Department of Labor in the state government during the last year realizes that Governor Capper could not have made a better ehoice for the office of State Labor Commission than when he selected Paul J. McBride for these important responsibilities. To his official duties Mr. McBride brought a long and varied experience, most of it obtained in the ranks of organized labor. He is in close touch with the men who toil and he also had that breadth of mind and sympathies which are the fruit of association with people and

Biography of Carl Aaron Swensson, Rev. Dr.

Rev. Dr. Carl Aaron Swensson was the founder and chief upbuilder of Bethany College, the institution around which cluster the best and most noteworthy distinctions of Lindsborg as a community and from which have gone influences that now permeate and give character to many localities through the useful men and women educated there. In an important degree Bethany College is a monnment to the late Doctor Swensson, and to a nobler one few men could aspire. He was born at Sugar Grove, Pennsylvania, June 25, 1857, a son of Jonas and Maria (Blixt) Swensson. His parents came to America in

Biographical Sketch of William E. Wall

Wall, William E.; pres. Fred G. Clark Co.; born, Chatham, Ont., Can., Aug. 23, 1868; educated, common schools and Chatham High School and Collegiate Institute; came to Cleveland in 1890; engaged in the oil business, for the past 24 years identified with the Fred G. Clark Co.; elected pres. of the National Petroleum Ass’n, 1903; pres. the Tiona Refining Co., Indianapolis, Ind., treas. the Conewango Refining Co., Warren, Pa.; director the Monitor Oil Co.; Great Western Oil Co., and Manufacturers Oil Co.; elected sec’y of the Cleveland Petroleum Ass in, 1904; member Euclid, Hermit, and Clifton Clubs; Chamber of Commerce;

Biographical Sketch of John Jay Wemple

Wemple, John Jay; merchant; born, Aug. 23, 1849; Ashville, N. Y.; son of Hiram S. and Sophia Kidder Wemple; educated, Jamestown Union School and Collegiate Institute; took state regents examination and taught school in Warren County, Pa., and in Kansas; railroad agent in Kansas and Nebraska about five years; mgr. Paine Lumber Co.’s interests in Nebraska, four years; treas. Ohio Sash & Door Co., 24 years; pres. Wholesale Merchants Board, Chamber of Commerce, one year; director Chamber of Commerce, one year; member Hastings Lodge, F. & A. M., Hastings, Neb.; Mt. Nebo Commandery, No. 11, K. T., Hastings, Neb.; McKinley

Biography of Henry R. Ransom

The Pittsburg Sash & Door Company. One of the very considerable industries of the City of Pittsburg is The Pittsburg Sash & Door Company, which like many successful concerns had a very modest heginning but is now contributing a great deal of wealth to the city and is furnishing support to many families whose members find employment there. This business was originally started as a bay press by L. N. Mosteller, now a retired business man of Pittsburg. In October, 1902, Henry R. Ransom arrived in Pittsburg and bought what was then known as the Pittsburg Planing Mill, situated at

Biography of Henry Justin Allen

Henry Justin Allen of Wichita had achieved a position among Kansas’ leading newspaper editors and publishers. He began as a newspaper reporter, was editor and owner at different times of various papers in the state, and is now proprietor of the Wichita Beacon. Mr. Allen was born at Warren, Pennsylvania, September 12, 1869, and his parents John and Rebecca Elizabeth (Goodin) Allen were natives of the same section. John Allen served four years in the Ninth New York Cavalry, and a few years after the close of the war came west to Kansas, where he went through the pioneer hardships

William Dwight Todd of Warren PA

William Dwight Todd9, (Luzerne8, Lemuel7, Jehiel6, Stephen5, Stephen4, Samuel3, Samuel2, Christopher1) born Nov. 21, 1854, married twice, first, Dolly Tillotson, who died in 1909, second,(???). They lived in Warren, Penn. in 1919. Children: 2597. Glen. 2598. Grace Ledyard, m. Hugh Siggins. 2599. Alfred. 2600. Allan. 2601. Myra. 2602. George.

Delphine Electa Todd Thompson of Warren PA

THOMPSON, Delphine Electa Todd8, (Ora B.7, Bela6, Caleb5, Gideon4, Gideon3, Michael2, Christopher1) born March 25, 1849, in Stockton, N. Y., married Oct. 3, 1866, George W. Thompson, who was born May 20, 1841, in Newport, Herkimer County, N. Y. They lived in Warren, Penn., in 1912, where he was a petroleum producer. Children: I. Addie Delphine; is a graduate of the Warren (Penn.) High School and in 1912, was living with her parents. II. Merle Alonzo, m. Nov. 25, 1896, Edith M., daughter of John Humphrey, of Warren, Penn.; he was living in Chicago, Ill., in 1912, where he was