John McGhee, a native of Ireland, married Margaret Adams, who was born in England. They settled in Shelby County, Ky., where they had Lynch, Emily, Margaret, James, Washington, Nancy, and Rice. Lynch was a physician. Re-married Margaret Shackelford, and settled in Louisville, Ky., but removed to St. Louis, Mo., in 1838. Washington married Julia Sibley, of Kentucky, and died in 1828, leaving a widow and four children Mary H., Robert L., Harriet, and Epsey. Mrs. MeGhee and her children settled in Montgomery County, Mo., in 1841, and she is still living, in her 76th year.
Location: Shelby County KY
Richard Jones, who was born in England, married a Miss Love, and settled in Botetourt Co., Va. He was a member of the Baptist Church, but had to give a hogshead of tobacco every year for the support of the Episcopal Church. The names of his children were William, John, and Silas. William married Elizabeth Metcalf, and settled first in Shelby Co., Ky., from whence he removed to Missouri and settled on Darst’s Bottom, St. Charles County, in 1818. In 1820 he removed to Callaway County, and built a horse-mill, under the shed of which the Baptists held religious services
Henry Lawson, of Shelby Co., Ky., married Rebecca Lewis, by whom he had Henry, James, Joseph, William, John, Cynthia A., Mary, Laura, Rebecca, and Nancy. Mr. Lawson settled in Montgomery Co., Mo., in 1822. He and his wife were present at the organization of Macedonia Church, on Cuivre, of which they became members.
Mrs. Caroline (Watson) Dickinson, the widow of William R. Dickinson, is the daughter of Daniel and Rowena (Bartlett) Watson. Her father was born in North Carolina in 1797 and the mother in Missouri in 1802, where they married and lived until 1820, when they crossed over to Fulton County, Kentucky, and lived there until they died. They had eight children, two boys and six girls. Her mother was a devout Methodist; her father, an energetic farmer, and a democrat, and died in 1865; the mother died in 1869. Mrs. Dickinson was born April 6, 1823, being the first child born
One to whom has been entrusted important public service and over whose record there falls no shadow of wrong or suspicion of evil, is James I. Crutcher, of Boise. President Cleveland recognized his eminent qualifications for responsible duties when he appointed him United States marshal for Idaho, in which position he served for four years and two months, in a manner above suspicion. His unbending integrity of character, his fearlessness in the discharge of duty and his appreciation of the responsibilities that rested upon him were such as to make him a most acceptable incumbent of that office, and his
Mordecai Morgan, of Shelby County, Kentucky, married Catharine Turner, and settled in (now) Warren County, Missouri, in 1814. He was a noted pioneer of that County, and the first County Court was held in his house. His children were Malinda, Hiram, Rachel, Maranda, Matilda, Missouri, Martha, and Minerva. Malinda married James Bryan, a son of David Bryan. Hiram was a ranger in Nathan Boone’s company. He died of cholera, at Rock Island, in 1832. Rachel married Samuel Dougherty, of Warren County. Alaranda married Louisa Harper, of Lincoln County. Matilda married Levi Hinds, of Tennessee, who settled in Warren County. Missouri
Charles Ellis, of Virginia, married his cousin, Nancy Ellis, and they had Thomas, Polly, Stephen, Elizabeth, Nancy, Charles, Joseph, Martha, James M., and Susan. Mr. Ellis removed from Richmond, Va., to Shelby Co., Ky., in 1815. Stephen married Mary Young, of Kentucky, and settled in Warren Co., Mo., in 1826. In 1847 he removed to St. Charles County, where he died. His children were James, Charles, Nancy, Sarah C., Martha F., Mary H., and William T. Joseph Ellis was married twice; first, to Nancy Netherton, by whom he had Henry C., Mildred C., Charles M., Ann E., Lucy B., Paulina,
Robert Alexander Long. It is perhaps not generally known that the humble beginnings of the great Long-Bell Lumber Company was made in Kansas. The home of the corporation for a number of years has been in Kansas City, Missouri, where the splendid R. A. Long office building, one of the finest and most modern structures of its kind in the Middle West, furnishes the headquarters for the business whose operations are widespread all over the Southwest. But for forty years the retail business of the concern has been largely in Kansas and Kansas may properly claim Robert A. Long as
Thomas K. Stout, who has been actively identified with merchandising interests in Bartlesville during the past sixteen years, has since 1919 been the proprietor of Stout’s Specialty Shop at No. 217 East Third street and in this connection enjoys an extensive and high-class patronage. He was born in Shelbyville, Shelby County, Kentucky, on the 4th of January, 1875, his parents being J. K. and Sarah L. (McCallister) Stout, the latter also a native of Kentucky. J. K. Stout removed with his family to St. Clair County, Missouri, in 1885 and throughout the remainder of his active business career successfully devoted
Joseph R. Smith. The record of continuous service in the office of probate judge in Kansas is held by Joseph B. Smith, of Iola. The people of Allen County first elected Mr. Smith to handle the delicate responsibilities of the probate office in 1894. The term is for two years. Every succeeding two years the people have had an opportunity to express their judgment of Judge Smith’s administration, and every time, apparently regardless of political party fortunes or other considerations, his ability and varied qualifications have received the stamp of approval and in 1916 he was re-elected for the eleventh