This Boston – East Bridgewater Chandler family, the head of which was the late Hon. Peleg Whitman Chandler, long one of the leading counselors of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, and one of a family of lawyers, comes of a Massachusetts-Maine branch of the ancient Duxbury family whose progenitor was Edmund Chandler. The branch just alluded to for several generations at New Gloucester and Bangor, Maine, and at Boston in this Commonwealth, has been one of liberal education, college-bred men, men who have adorned the legal profession, and it has allied itself through generations with a number of the ancient and first families of the Old Colony. There follows in chronological order from Edmund Chandler, the first American ancestor of this branch of American Chandlers, and in detail the family history and genealogy.
Location: Penobscot County ME
The war commonly called by the colonists, “King William’s War,” commenced in 1688 and ended in 1697. The object of the French was the expulsion of the English from the northern and middle provinces. The English directed their efforts against Canada. The French secured the services of the greater part of the Indians, and the united forces spread death and desolation in all directions.
JUDGE E. F. HOWCROFT. Not without justice, Judge E. F. Howcroft is conceded to hold an enviable position among the prominent and successful men of Christian County, for he has not only rendered it valuable service as a reliable public official, but as an industrious farmer and law-abiding citizen. He is a native of the Old Bay State, born at Fall River, November 18, 1838, to the marriage of David and Ruth (Bindley) Howcroft, and like other British-American citizens, has done good stalwart work in the cultivation and development of this section. His father, David Howcroft, who for many years
SEWELL M. KNAPP. – Mr. Knapp is a native of Penobscot County, Maine, where he was born July 19, 1853. He was raised on a farm, and remained at home until he was twenty-three years of age. In August, 1875, he came to California, where he remained but a short time, when he left for Puget Sound, coming direct to Snohomish, finding employment at first in driving a team. Next he worked for about six years in the general merchandise stores of Blackman Brothers, after which he entered into the teaming business on his own account, starting a livery stable
ALANSON A., ELHANAN AND HYRCANUS BLACKMAN. – The father of these gentlemen, Adam Blackman, is a native of Maine; and their mother was Mary (Howard) Blackman, both of whom are still living in the town of Bradley in the above state. The history of communities and of nations is made up mainly of the acts of men who contribute towards directing to a result the efforts of the people by whom they are surrounded. This is equally true whether the actor be a Grant marshaling the legions of a grand army, a Vanderbilt, dictating a nation’s commerce, or the obscure
John J. Jenness, of the Solomon City community, was one of the early pioneers of Ottawa County. Mr. Jenness knows Kansas from the standpoint of over half a century’s residence therein. He was born at Hermon, Penobscot County, Maine, January 2, 1839, a son of David L. and Martha (York) Jenness. His father was born in New Hampshire and his mother in Maine, and both were descendants of early New England families. David L. Jenness’ father, in company with two of his brothers, came from France to the United States, locating in New Hampshire, and there he became prominently identified
Fernald, Robert Heywood; engineer; born, Orono, Me., Dec. 19, 1871; son of Merritt Caldwell (q. v.) and Mary Lovejoy Heywood Fernald; brother of Merritt Lyndon F. (q. v.) ; B. M. E., Maine State College, 1892; Massachusetts Institute Technology, 1892-1893; M. E., Case School Applied Science, 1898; A. M., Columbia, 1901, Ph. D. 1902; married, Catherine Mason Coupland, of Boone, Ia., June 27, 1905; instr. 1893-1896; asst. prof. 1896-1900, Case School Applied Science; prof. mech. engineering, Washington University, 1902-1907; prof. mech. engineering, Case School Applied Science, since Sept. 1, 1907; engr. in charge technologic branch, United States Geological Survey, Sept.
Savage, Minot Judson; Clergyman; born, Norridgewock, Me., June, 10, 1841; son of Joseph L. and Ann S. (Stinson) Savage; fitted for college, but did not take course, because of poor health; graduate Bangor Theological Seminary, 1864; (D. D., Harvard, 1896); married Ella A. Dodge, of Harvard, Mass., 1864; Congregational home missionary in California, 1864-1867; pastor, Framingham Mass., 1867-1869, Hannibal, Mo., 1869-1873; became Unitarian; pastor Third Unitarian Church, Chicago, 1873-1874, Church of the Unity, Boston, 1874-1896; minister Church of the Messiah, New York, 1896-1906; retired. Author: Christianity, the Science of Manhood, 1873; The Religion of Evolution, 1876; Light on the Cloud,
R. P. Kelley. While the law had been his profession and he had been a member of the Eureka Bar continuously since 1884, R. P. Kelley had found his time increasingly absorbed by his various business affairs and interests. Financial success had come to him in large measure, and he had property and business interests in diverse parts of the country. He had traveled considerably for recreation, had covered most of the states of the Union and Canada, and had well defined opinions on events and affairs outside of his immediate province. Mr. Kelley is a native of New England
Mrs. C.W. Green Buried Wednesday Mrs. Charles W. Green, mother of Mrs. C.K. White, of this city, passed away at Los Angeles, Calif., Saturday, November 8, after an extended illness caused by cancer. The body was brought to Baker accompanied by Mr. Green. The deceased was a resident of Baker for thirty years, where with Mr. Green, she conducted a grocery business. She was born at Bangor, Maine, in 1861, and was 63 years of age. She is survived by her husband, a son, Irving C. Green, and two daughters, Mrs. C.K. White, of this city, and Mrs. Snodgrass, of