Ridgelawn Memorial Cemetery, Oxford, Oakland County, Michigan
Location: Oakland County MI
Transcription of the North Oxford Cemetery in Oxford, Oakland County, Michigan. From the center of Oxford – East on Burdick St. .2 mi, North on Oxford Rd/Glaspie 1.1 miles, East on Oxford Rd .5 mi, North on Oxford Rd .9 mi, East on Oxford Rd .5 mi, North on Oxford Rd .4 mi. As you can see Oxford Rd makes many turns. The cemetery is on the East side of the road. Submitted by Christopher Schnur. Information collected September 2001.
United States Soldiers of the Civil War Residing in Michigan, June 1, 1894 [ Names within brackets are reported in letters. ] Addison Township – John W. Prince. Elijah C. Kelly. Harmon L. Curtis. George Nash, Andrew J. Close, Milton Fox. Jabez G. Angle, [Samuel Babcock]. Village of Leonard – William Yakely, William E. McMullen. Stephen B. Nowlin, Abbott Taylor. Henry Lapham, John Kipp, Andrew J. Bickford, William H. H. Eldred. George B. Nowlin. Jacob F. Bradt. Bradford Savory. Elijah B. Dodge, [Spencer Eaton]. Avon Township – Burdick Fuller. Anthony O’Brien, E. H. Sipperly, Jol’n J. Snook, E. A. Jennings.
The pointed mace, found in the early North American graves and barrows, is uniformly of a semi-lunar form. It appears to have been the Cassetete or head-breaker, such as we can only ascribe to a very rude state of society. It was employed by warriors prior to the introduction of the agakwut and tomahawk. All the specimens examined have an orifice in the center of the curve for the insertion of a handle. Its object was to penetrate, by its sharp points, the skull of the adversary. This was not done by cutting, as with the agakwut or mace, but by perforating
Philo O. VanWagner passed away on August 4, 1919 at Ida Grove, Iowa. His affliction was pronounced muscular paralysis. Philo was born on November 17, 1849 at Oxford, Michigan, and was in his 70th year. He attended school at the Oxford Academy. At the age of twelve, he moved with his parents to the country. When he was sixteen, he began his trade as a stone mason. He was united in marriage on October 15, 1873 to Miss Etta McVean. Five children were born, three of whom survive him: Nita, at home; Philo Jr. of Ida Grove; and Mrs. Lawrence
James H. Bush, deceased, was one of the prominent and widely known businessmen of Boise, where he spent the greater part of his life. He was born in White Lake, Oakland County, Michigan, July 29, 1842, and was a son of Elias Oliver and Mary Jane (Fife) Bush, both of whom were well-to-do farmers and early settlers of Michigan and members of the Baptist church. James Bush was educated in Flint, Michigan, and in early manhood was a purser on a steamboat. In February, 1865, he sailed from New York for the Pacific coast by way of Panama, reaching Boise
Dawson, Robert H.; lawyer; born, Pontiac, Mich., March 28, 1882; son of John W. and Jean Hamilton Dawson; educated, University of Michigan, A. B., 1903, and Western Reserve University, 1909, LL. B.; married, Pueblo, Colo., Sept. 14, 1910, Miss Luna Cooper; member Phi Delta Phi Fraternity. Recreations: Baseball and Football.
Finch, Edward Brush; dealer in motor cars; born, Holly, Mich., Oct. 17, 1873; son of Nathaniel A. and Mary Hadley Finch; educated University of Michigan; married, Detroit, Mich., January, 1900, May Pruegs; issue, Edward B., Jr., William Roberts; member Michigan Naval Reserves and Michigan State Militia; 1900-1906, sec’y and treas. Pungs-Finch Auto & Gas Engine Co.; 1906-1908, asst. to factory mngr. and head of Technical Dept., Packard Motor Car Co., Detroit, Mich.; 1908-1910, head of Inspection and Service Divisions with The Chalmers Motor Car Co., Detroit, Mich.; July, 1910, established business dealing in Chalmer Motor Cars in Cleveland; pres. American
Sprague, Ernest M.; mgr. American Bridge Co.; born, Farmington, Mich., Oct. 20, 1865; son of Lorenzo and Laura G. Mead Sprague; educated, University of Michigan, 1888, B. S., C. E.; married, Denver, Col., March 8, 1901, Maude Sill; issue, two children; six years with Chicago & N. W. R. R., asst. engineer; since 1894, with American Bridge Co., and affiliated companies; last eight years, mgr. Cleveland branch; member American Society Civil Engineers, Masonic Order, Athletic Club. Recreation: Golf.
Barnabas Tibbals, owner of a fine orange grove in Brockton Square, on the south side of Bandini Avenue, about two miles south of Riverside, purchased this place in August, 1887 and immediately commenced his horticultural pursuits. At this writing his land, consisting of ten acres, is all in orange trees, except a few deciduous trees and table grapes. About one-half of his trees are seedlings, and the rest Washington Navels. He has spent much labor in pruning, fertilizing and cultivating, since buying the place, and has now a very productive grove. The improvements on the place consist of a commodious