Conant, Jesse Grant; contractor and builder; born, Hinckley, O., Nov. 5, 1869; son of Lewis and Catherine Dunn Conant; educated in the Hinckley schools, 1875 to 1885; married, Cleveland, O., June 8, 1892, Hattie E. Kirsch; one son, Kirsch Lewis Conant; at the age of 20, in the spring of 1890, he came to Cleveland to learn the carpenter’s trade; worked at it until 1906; he then started in the contracting business; has been successful, averaging three houses a month during some seasons; in 1909, began dealing in real estate in connection with his contracting, both businesses have had a
Location: Medina County OH
Curtiss, J. Milton; pres. The Curtiss-Ambler Realty Co.; born, Harrisville, Medina County, O., Feb. 26, 1840; educated in the district and city schools, Brooklyn Academy and Cleveland Institute, University Heights, now Lincoln Heights; taught district school one year; engaged in the nursery business for twenty years, helped to organize and was one of the first trustees of Brooklyn village; moved to Cleveland in 1868; member City Council, 1876 to 1883; appointed Park Commissioner by Mayor Herrick; served two years; for five years supt. Riverside Cemetery; pres. Riverside Cemetery Ass’n.
Hopkins, David Harris; lawyer; born, Granger, Medina county, O., Oct. 8, 1882; son of Chauncey J. and Ale Harris Hopkins; graduated from Granger High School in 1900; following year attended Ohio Northern University, and graduated from Baldwin University, 1911, receiving LL. B. degree; married, Granger, O., Jan. 16, 1904, Vira Marie Kerstetter; opened his law office in the Engineers’ Bldg. in November, 1911; interested in farming and breeder of Holstein-Friesian cattle, Poland China swine and fancy poultry; director The Cleveland Poultry Breeders Ass’n Co.; member Masons, Odd Fellows, Maccabees, and Sigma Kappa Phi Fraternity.
William Elliott Barnhart, who has lived in Kansas City, Kansas, since 1887, has held many large responsibilities in connection with transportation lines, both urban and general railway companies, and has also regulated his private affairs so as to give time for much public service to his home city. His personal career has been one of many interesting experiences and achievements and his ancestry is also an appropriate matter of record. Mr. Barnhart was born at Cedar Valley in Wayne County, Ohio, December 8, 1857, a son of Frederick William and Clarisas (Gooding) Barnhart. The paternal ancestry goes back to his
Yoder, Ivan Isaac; physician and surgeon; born, Wadsworth, O., Dec. 30, 1875; son of Noah. N. and Susan Overholt Yoder; educated, country schools of Medina County, O., until 17 years of age, Medina High School, 1897; B. A. degree, Ohio Wesleyan University, 1901, M. D., Western Reserve University, Medical Dept. 1904, A. M., Ohio Wesleyan University, 1905; district physician, 8th ward, Cleveland, 1911-1912; asst. surgeon to American Ship Building Co., and Cleveland-Pittsburgh ore docks since 1905; has specialized in casualty surgery; pres. Yoder Realty Co.; member American Medical and Ohio State Medical Assns, Cleveland Academy of Medicine, American Association for
Sarstedt, Frank A.; tax adjuster; born, Medina County, O., Aug. 27, 1864; educated, public schools, Cleveland; in the dry goods business, 1878-1881; with C. C. S. & St. L. R. R., 1881-1893; gen. mngr. Barrett & Columbia Brewing Co., 1893-1899: deputy county auditor, 1899-1901; appointed member board of Review by the state board of assessors and appraisers, 1901, and pres., 1904; serving to 1913; interested in several local corporations: Scottish Rite Mason, and K. Templar; Cleveland Commercial Travelers, National Union, Elk, Eagle; pres. Western Reserve Club, and originator Crawford Memorial Building, in E. 55th St.; Republican; Cleveland Athletic Club Recreation;
Putnam, P. R.; teaming contractor; born, Hinckley, O., June 7, 1854; son of Russell and Deborah Moody Putnam; educated, Hinckley High School; married, Cleveland, Dec. 31, 1879, Mary A. Randolph; six children; member of Astria Court, No. 64, of the Tribe of Ben Hur; also of Chapter No. 50, of the American Insurance Union, of Columbus, and the Grand Fraternity Club of Cleveland.
Laughlin, Charles F.; real estate investments; born, Hinkley, Ohio, May 18, 1874; son of Frederick and Esther Laughlin; educated in public schools of Cleveland; married, Cleveland, June 16, 1897, Grace A. McIntyre; 1888 to 1900, with The Cowell & Hubbard Co.; 1901-1904, asst. sec’y and treas. The Prudential Trust Co.; 1904-1909, treas. The Guarantee Title & Trust Co.; 1909, organized The Security Mortgage & Investment Co.; at present vice pres. of this corporation; in this capacity represent large Eastern insurance companies and large investors in real estate mortgages; pres. Cleveland Real Estate Board, 1912; now pres. of Ohio Association of
Frederick Ruder was a pioneer in Kansas Territory in the year 1857. His home was in Leavenworth, but he was closely identified with those activities which spread out from Leavenworth over the plains to the Far West. Leavenworth sixty years ago was one of the most important cities of the Middle West. It was a river town, was thriving and bustling with trade, and to the great territory to the west, now divided among a dozen or more states, Leavenworth occupied relatively a more prominent position than Kansas City does today. Frederick Ruder was for a number of years connected
BOIES, Roxa Ann Todd6, (Amos5, Charles4, Gideon3, Michael2, Christopher1) born March 12, 1795, married April 21, 1813, Chester Boies, of Blanford, Mass., who was born Oct. 2, 1789, died Aug. 5, 1856; he was a farmer and lived at Homer, N. Y., then Oxford, Medina and Lyme, Ohio. Children: I. William Phelps, b. Aug. 8, 1815. II. Ann Maria, b. Nov. 1, 1816, d. Oct. 5, 1826. III. Caroline Eliza, b. June 6, 1818, d. Oct. 19, 1848, m. Ten Eyck Wells, who was a physician at one time at Litchfield, Conn. They had one son born in 1844, d.