Location: Marthasville Missouri

Far West Masthead Page 1

Free Missouri Historical Newspapers Online

This page represents 37 free historical newspapers spread out over the state of Missouri since its founding into the 1900’s. All of them have at least a partial online representation.

Biographical Sketch of Frederick Griswold and Harvey Griswold

Harvey and Frederick Griswold, of Connecticut, were cousins. They emigrated to the West, and settled in (now) Warren County, Mo., at a very early date. Frederick married Rebecca Shobe, and opened the first store in Pinckney. They had no children. Harvey came to Missouri when he was only about sixteen years of age, and walked from St. Louis to Pinckney, carrying his wardrobe and all the property he possessed tied up in a cotton handkerchief. His cousin Frederick at first hired him to clerk in his store, but afterward bought a store at Marthasville, and sent him there to take

Biographical Sketch of John Young

Aaron H., and Benjamin Young also came to Missouri. John was a physician, having graduated at the Philadelphia Medical College. He came to Warren County in 1816, and laid off the town of Marthasville, which he named for his first wife, Martha Fuqua. He was married twice; first, to Martha Fuqua, of Virginia, in 1805, who died without children. In 1811 he married Sarah Scott, of Virginia, who also died without children. The Doctor moved to St. Louis in 1827, and died while on a visit to some of his wife’s relations in Alabama, in 1832.

Biographical Sketch of Benjamin Young

Aaron Young was married in 1804, to Theodosia Winn, of Fayette Co., Ky., and came to Missouri and settled near Marthasville in 1819. His children were James, Martha, Elizabeth, Leonard, and Mary. Mr. Young served as County Judge for several terms, and finally moved to St. Louis County, where he died. Benjamin Young was born in Fayette Co., Ky., in 1791. He married Mary Maaro, and came to Warren County in 1819. He settled at Marthasville, and opened a store, being the first merchant of the place. In 1820 he removed to Callaway County and settled in Ham’s Prairie, at