Hannum, Edwin Alan; physician; born, Maumee, O., Jan. 2, 1873; son of J. L. and Eliza A. Close Hannum; educated, public schools, Maumee, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Cleveland, M. D.; married, Cleveland, Sept. 4, 1907, Ollie Martin; two children; member Academy of Medicine; Ohio State Medical Ass’n and American Medical Ass’n.
Location: Lucas County OH
Gordon, William; attorney-at-law; born, Oak Harbor, O., Dec. 15, 1862; son of Washington and Margaret Rymers Gordon; educated, public schools, Oak Harbor, O., Toledo Business College, Toledo, O., graduate and Univ. Michigan, LL. B.; married Port Clinton Sept. 12, 1893; Elizabeth N. Garnhard; issue, one son and one daughter; taught school in Ottawa County; served four years as deputy county treasurer, six years a member of Board of County school Examiners, six years as Prosecuting atty., all in Ottawa County; served as delegate to the Democratic National Convention at Chicago in 1896 from 9th Congressional District of Ohio; member Democratic
Hill, Thomas William; banker; born, England, May 30, 1847; son of Thomas R. and Mary Alice Hunt Hill; public school education; married, Detroit, Mich., July 15, 1870, Harriette C. De La. Hooke; one son, Harold H.; came to America with parents in 1850; located at Flint, Mich.; enlisted, September 1863, with the Michigan Cavalry (Custer Brigade), (Sheridan’s Cavalry Corps); served until the close of the war; with the W. U. Telephone Co. at Toledo until 1869; with the same company at Detroit, as bookkeeper and cashier, 1869-1885; transferred to Cleveland, as mgr. of their Cleveland office, 1885-1892; elected cashier Cleveland
James C. Holland. The public architecture of Kansas, especially in the capital city, is largely a record of the skill and experience of one man, James C. Holland. Mr. Holland by all the standards that can be applied is a great architect. He has gained a well deserved prominence in this profession. His experience in Kansas covers more than thirty years. At one time he held the office of state architect, but throughout his business has largely been in connection with the designing and the superintending of construction of buildings which serve a public or quasi-public purpose. A few years
Jones, Frank Z.; plaster contractor; born, Delaware, O., Sept. 21, 1879; son of Albert and Margaret Common Jones; educated, Delaware, O., public schools; married, Windsor, Can., Dec. 1, 1903, Lillie L. Baker; issue, three sons; learned trade under his father, and contracted in Delaware for several years; in 1901, went to Dayton, O., and spent three years there as journeyman; worked in Toledo one year, and then came to Cleveland, in 1904; worked as journeyman until 1912; moved to Lakewood, and built his home, and has been in contract business since.
McCarrens, John S.; advertising; born, July 27, 1869; son of D. A. and Anna McGinley McCarrens; educated, public schools, Bradford, Pa., and Niagara University, Suspension Bridge, N. Y.; married, Toledo, O., June 24, 1896, Mary Sweeney; issue, two daughters and two sons; advertising mgr. and business collector; member Cleveland Advertising Club. Fond of Horseback Riding.
Whitmore, Fred A.; real estate, loans; born, Toledo, O., Nov. 30, 1882; son of Charles A. and Harriet D. Moon Whitmore; public school education; married, Toledo, O., July 28, 1902, Lucy J. Weil; since 1909 representative of the Michigan Mutual Life Insurance Co., having been associated with that company for nine years before that date.
Stern, Joseph L.; attorney; born, Toledo, O., Sept. 24, 1882; son of Adolph and Rosa Friedlander Stern; educated, Cleveland grammar and High School (West); studied law in the office of L. F. McGarth, Cleveland, and admitted to practice law in December, 1903; married, Cleveland, Feb. 28, 1907, Fannie Brown; one son, Robert William Stern; one daughter, Ruth Dorothy Stern; served two terms as solicitor for the Village of Nottingham, O., Dec. 1903, entered law practice with L. F. McGarth, under firm name of McGarth & Stern; in Oct. 1909, partnership dissolved, and began to practice alone; is now located in
Schneider, Edward F.; sec’y and gen’l mgr. Cleveland, Southwestern & Columbus R. R.; born, Toledo, Oct. 19, 1862; son of P. F. and Louisa Ackerman Schneider; educated, public schools, German Wallace College, Berea, O., Philadelphia College of Pharmacy; married, Berea, Oct. 4, 1888, Helen F. Whitbeck; for twelve years with Benton, Myers & Co., wholesale druggists; ten years with Cleveland, Southwestern & Columbus; director Mansfield Ry., Light & Power Co.; Mason; K. of P.
Shepherd, Arthur Bishop; electric machinery and building materials; born Troy, N. Y., Nov. 29, 1871; son of William A. and Martha Vail Shepard; educated, St. Paul School, Garden City, L. I.; Columbian University, Washington, D. C.; Massachusetts, Institute of Technology, Boston, Mass.; married, New York City, September, 1900, Gertrude Robins; three children; designing engineer for The General Electric Co., Schnectady, N. Y.; afterwards mgr. of their Cleveland office; with the company fourteen years; one year pres. Toledo; Chicago Interurban R. R.; at present, district mgr. for the following corporations: Wagner Electric Mnfg. Co., Asbestos Protected Metal Co., Colonial Fan &