FREE – Readable and downloadable copy of the Portrait and biographical record of Genesee, Lapeer and Tuscola counties, Michigan published in 1892.
Location: Lapeer County MI
United States Soldiers of the Civil War Residing in Michigan, June 1, 1894 [ Names within brackets are reported in letters. ] Almont Township – David Paton, Jacob Clark, David P. Ross, Jacob Shumar, Abram Van Antwerp, John Rattray, William W. Paton, John Sullivan, Seth J. Hall, John B. Robinson, James Seaton, William Murdock, [Henry Hull]. Village of Almont – John Paton, William W. Taylor, Porter Conger, A. V. Ammerman, 0. D. Black, Benjamin F. Johnson, Lewis M. Rutherford, Eleazer Hathaway, Stephen Taylor, William Colerick, Leonard L. Bruce, Zery Carter, Cyrus Carpenter, James J. Swain, Alexander Block, Seneca Hartsell, John
JAMES O’LOUGHLIN. – This gentleman, whose portrait adorns the opposite page, is one of the representative men of Skagit County, Washington. He is a native of Ireland, thus making Skagit, as every county in the United States indebted to the emerald Isle. County Clare was the region of his birth; and the time was April 9, 1844. Before he was three years old, his parents crossed the ocean to this land of liberty, bringing their nine children with the. They located at Lyons, New York, but in 1856 went to Lapeer, Michigan. There the boy James learned the tinsmith’s trade.
FRED D. GASKILL. – As a typical representative of the progresive western agriculturist and stockman, than whom there is not a more wideawake and up-to-date individual in the United States, the subject of this brief review stands, and although a man just entering the walks of life, he has manifested an industry and thrift and ability that have rewarded him in a great measure, and which he justly deserves from the efforts put forth. It is gratifying to note how excellently our subject has wrought out for himself here a prosperity and competence that demonstrate both his good financiering and
Samuel Morse Porter. The career of Samuel Morse Porter is largely identified with the history of Caney, and no record of either man or community would be complete without full mention of both. A resident of this locality since 1881, and of the city itself since 1896, he has seen the little town grow and develop to substantial proportions, and may take a proprietor’s pride in this advancement, for it has been a part of his life work. With his own hands he has aided in the building up of what promises to be an important center of commercial and