More than ordinary interest always attaches to the man who builds up a business, whether it be a farm, a store is factory or whatsoever establishment that serves the peeple in its line and had the usefulness of an institution. Forty years of careful and painetaking merchandising have been behind the well known Topeka house of W. A. L. Thompson Hardware Company, one of the oldest and most standard mercantile firms of the state. Born near Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, April 18, 1848, W. A. L. Thompson was reared in his native state, and lived in Philadelphia from 1866 until he came
Location: Harrisburg Pennsylvania
Parsons, Harry Arthur; retired; born, Cleveland, Feb. 14, 1874; son of Charles Alfred and Cordelia Bella (Parr) Parsons; educated, Cleveland public schools, and West High School, and public schools, Harrisburg, Pa., married, Cleveland, June 16, 1902, Mabel Augusta Hanna; passenger agt., Cleveland, Lorain & Wheeling R. R., 1891-1894; Lorain Steel Co., 1904-1907; cartoonist and illustrator, New York, to 1900; confidential sec’y to Senator M. A. Hanna, to 1903; member Roadside, Gentleman’s Driving, Athletic, Clifton, Automobile, Yacht, Tippecanoe, and Western Reserve Clubs of Cleveland; Automobile Club, of Southern Cal.; Country Club, of Sault Ste. Marie. Recreations: Yachting, Automobiling, Powerboat Racing, Fishing,
Parsons, Charles Alfred; real estate; born, Dec. 25, 1847, Hoosick Falls, N. Y.; son of Hial Kenyon and Harriet Robinson Parsons; educated, public school and graduate of Seilers Technical School, Harrisburg, Pa.; married, April 24, 1873, Della B. Parr, Mansfield, 0.; one son, Harry Arthur; Cleveland, 1874, with Cartwright, McCurdy & Co.. iron mfrs., then with Union Foundry Co.; at Harrisburg, Pa., 1881-1886; Pennsylvania Steel Co.; returned to Cleveland, as cashier Union Rolling Mill Co.; in 1892, organized Cleveland Steel Castings Co.; in steel casting and steel brokerage until 1912, when he entered real estate; member K. of P., Royal
Union County Pioneer Died Saturday Evening Jacob Long, an aged man, and well known pioneer resident of Elgin and Union County, died at his home in this city, Saturday evening, January 21, 1911, after an illness of only a few days. Death was due to old age more than any other cause. The funeral services were conducted in the Presbyterian Church Wednesday afternoon at 2 o’clock by Reverend H.L. Willis and the interment followed immediately in the City Cemetery. The remains were placed in an air tight casket and placed in the stone vault which the deceased had erected several
Philip Wing Hathaway, a pioneer of Iowa and the Cherokee Indian Neutral Lands, was born on a farm near Wareham, Massachusetts. His early life was little unlike that of most boys of his day–spent in farm work with few school advantages, intermingled with pleasures and griefs. He stayed at home until 1832, when his father died, which parent left surviving him a wife and six children–two daughters, Adline and Sophia; four boys, Albert, Andrew, Philip and Mathias. Young Philip, tiring of the farm, sought other pursuits more in keeping with his endowed talent as a mechanic. At the age of
Francis C. Herr, M. D. One of the most widely known physicians in Franklin County is Dr. Francis C. Herr, who graduated from one of the oldest medical colleges in the country forty years ago, and had been in active practice at Ottawa since 1884. Born at Lancaster, Pennsylvania, December 1, 1852, he is a son of Amos F. and Anna (Frantz) Herr, both of whom are natives of Lancaster County. This is a very old and prominent family of early colonial German ancestry. Doctor Herr is a descendant of Hans Herr, who represented a Suabian family of Germany, where
John Harris, immigrant ancestor, was of Scotch-Irish descent, it is said, but was born in Yorkshire, England. He came to this country as early as 1682 and engaged in trade with the Indians at the suggestion of his friend, Edward Shippen. In January, 1705, he received a license from the colonial government allowing him to locate on the Susquehanna river and erect such buildings as are necessary for his trade and to enclose such quantities of land as he shall think fit. During one of his expeditions as a licensed Indian trader he beheld the beauties and advantages of Paxtang.
This well known citizen, though not among those who came to Portland at the earliest day of the city’s history to lay here the foundations of municipal and commercial greatness, is a prominent and representative man of the reinforcement that came when Portland was just beginning her larger growth; and to this reinforcement much of the credit of the city’s remarkable progress is due. James Boyce Montgomery was born at Montgomery’s Ferry, on the Susquehanna river, in the State of Pennsylvania, twenty-five miles north of Harrisburg, on the 6th of December, 1832. He went to school until he was sixteen
He was of Corwin Township, Ida County, Ida Grove, Iowa, and settled here in 1882. He was born in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania on October 13, 1854. His father was Michael Forney (born October 15, 1824 in Dauphin County, Pa.) who came here in 1885. His mother was Margaret Crownshield, born in Maryland. Michael and Margaret’s children were: Sarah C., wife of David O. Crum, and William C., the subject of this biography. William C. Forney received his education at Millersville Normal School, Pa., and entered the boot and shoe business. Since coming West in 1882, he engaged in farming and stock-raising.
Charles G. Kolb was born in Wurtemberg, Germany, September 29, 1834. When he was 22 years of age, he came to America, making the journey on a Sailing Vessel that required 40 days for the passage. Altogether in his life, he crossed the Atlantic Ocean 13 times, the second trip being to bring back a bride, Catherine Weiler. The last journey was in 1910 when he visited his fatherland. He lived two years in New York State along the Hudson before he went for his bride. Upon their return, they settled on a farm near Harrisburg, Pa. in 1858. In