Sunday, Oct. 18.–Myself and friend proceeded on our journey. We arrived at Siers, a distance of thirty miles, at dusk, much relieved by the change from our horses to the wagon. The roads were muddy, the weather drizzly and the country hilly. Buildings indifferent. The land very fertile and black. Trees uncommonly tall. Passed the little village of Cadis. In this country a tavern, a store, a smith shop and two or three cabins make a town. Passed ten or fifteen travelers. Great contrast between the quality of the land from Chambersburg to Pittsburg, and that which we have already
Location: Hancock County OH
Ambrose W. Strong, who is spending the quiet years of his retirement in a beautiful home at 706 Main Street in Urbana, is one of the few men now living whose recollections go back in Champaign County for nearly eighty years. Though not a native of the county Mr. Strong came here in early infancy and as a boy he knew many of the first settlers and his own life has been closely identified with those changing developments which have transformed this part of the state into a garden spot of the world. Mr. Strong was born in Hancock County,
Rufus B. Hoy. A resident of Champaign County almost forty years, Rufus B. Hoy after a brief visit determined that this county should be his permanent home, and here his industry has borne fruit and his name is one that is spoken with honor and respect. Mr. Hoy was born in Hancock County, Ohio, November 6, 1850, son of Abraham and Mary (Fellers) Hoy. His father was a native of Pennsylvania and his mother of Ohio and both their ancestors several generations back came from Germany. Abraham Hoy and wife had twelve children, six sons and six daughters, Rufus being
CAPT. HIRAM SMITH. – Capacity for business may make a man a miser or a shark. Generosity may make him a pauper. In the one case he may so use his talent as to over-reach and distress his neighbors; and in the other he may impoverish himself and become a burden rather than a benefit to society. The benevolent heart is best when joined to a sagacious head. No man seems so happy, and certainly none so useful, as he who is able to gratify his love of doing good by having the means for its accomplishment ever at hand.
HON. HIRAM D. MORGAN. – This gentleman, whose portrait appears in this history, and who is so well known up and down the Sound, has had a varied pioneer life since 1853. He is a native of Ohio, having been born at Mount Ayre in 1822. During his boyhood, his parents moved to Marion and other portions of the state; and in the course of his development he learned the carpenter’s trade, which has ever been a great reliance to him. In 1846 he came out to Oskaloosa, Iowa, and in 1853 became one of the Davis party to cross
Henry Dorsey, deceased, formerly the proprietor of the Dorsey Cottage Hotel, at Mountain Home, was born in Hancock county, Ohio, in February, 1853, and traced his ancestors back to German and Scotch people who located in Pennsylvania at an early epoch in the history of the Keystone state. His father, David Dorsey, was born in Pennsylvania, and married Miss Rosana Wyant, also a native of that locality. In 1821, soon after their marriage, they started westward and located in the midst of the unbroken forests of Ohio. Mr. Dorsey was a farmer by occupation, and in order to prepare land
N. E. Burns, lumber dealer, was born in Hancock County, Ohio, March 4, 1861. Removed to Hoopeston, Ill., and did business just across the line in Ambia, Ind. Came to Burr Oak, Jewell County, Kan., May 3, 1882, and engaged in the lumber business under the firm name of Cobb & Burns. The same firm has a number of lumberyards in Kansas, and are working up a satisfactory trade. Mr. Burns is an energetic young man, and will be well known in the commercial world. He was married in Hoopeston, Ill., December 25, 1881, to Miss Anna Richards.
Hollyday, John Wilson; supt. Railway Mail Service; born, Findlay, O.; son of Robert H. Hollyday, D. D.; his mother’s name was Lydia A. Patterson; educated, High School, Findlay, O., and Business College, Cleveland; married, Washington, D. C., Sept. 29, 1886, Mary Elizabeth Larner; issue, one daughter, Eleanor; early life spent in mercantile pursuits; appointed to railway mail service, March 4, 1878; transferred to office Gen. Supt. Washington, D. C., 1885; made chief clerk to Gen. Supt., Aug. 1897; made chief clerk to Second Asst. Post Master General, February, 1907; made supt. Railway Mail Service, Cleveland, Oct. 13, 1911; assumed duties
Ruhl, James B.; lawyer; born near Lisbon, Ohio, on a farm; taught, prepared for college, at Lisbon High School, and taught in rural schools; graduated from Ohio Northern University, B. S., 1888, and LL. B., 1891 (in cursu); later took M. Sc. and L. L. M. (pro merito); supt. schools, McComb, O., 1888-1889; instructor at Ohio Northern University, 1889-1891; admitted to the Ohio Bar in 1889, U. S. Courts in 1894, and U. S. Supreme Court, 1901; practiced law in Cleveland since 1891; member, for five years, State board of examiners for admission to the bar; Knight Templar, 32nd degree
Although death claimed W. P. Jacobs in 1906, a year after his arrival in Bartlesville, he had already gained a well established position in business circles here, his enterprise and integrity winning for him the respect and confidence of all with whom he was brought into contact. He was born in Hammond, Indiana, in 1866, and acquired his education in Danville College, after which he became connected with the lumber business at Toledo, Ohio. From there he went to Findlay, Ohio, where he was identified with the same line of activity, and he subsequently removed to Lima, that state, where