Elisha Bentley, born at Jericho, in 1811, came to Cambridge when seventeen years of age, and for about twelve years was engaged in mercantile pursuits. He represented the town in the legislature, in 1851 and 1856, and the county in 1861 and 1862, and has also been sheriff one year. His family consists of a …
John Safford, from Bennington, Vt., came to Cambridge in 1790, and located in the western part of the town, upon the farm now owned by his grandson, Samuel M. He reared a family of ten children, eight of whom settled in the town, and died, in 1857, aged ninety-two years.
Thomas Edwards, born at Bedford, Eng., in 1790, came to Cambridge in 1837, and located in the southeastern part of the town. His family consisted of three sons and two daughters. Two of his sons now reside here, Matthew, on road 22, and Thomas, on road 24.
William Heath, from Lancaster, N. H., located upon the farm now owned,, by his great-grandson, Madison O. Heath, about 1800. Madison located there in 1865, not knowing at that time that it was the spot where his ancestors had built their cabin so many years ago. James M., son of Lufkin Heath, and grandson of …
Benjamin Griswold, one of the first settlers of Bristol, Vt., removed from there to Enosburgh, and thence to Cambridge. His youngest son, Benjamin, born in 1797, came to this town with his parents, and died on the old homestead, in 1878. His son, Leonard S., now occupies the old farm, on road 31.
Darius Case, from Connecticut, came to Cambridge June 10, 1839, and located in the northern part of the town, where he died, in 1868, aged sixty-six years. Addison B., the youngest of his ten children, born in 1826, is now a resident of the town, on road 13.
Henry Stowell, from Connecticut, came to Cambridge about the year 1823, and located at the Borough. He was a graduate of Middlebury college, and practiced law until his death, in 1872. His son, Henry J., born in 1826, now resides here.
Jonah Brewster, from Bennington, Vt., came: to Cambridge among the early settlers, and is said to have cleared the first land where the present Center village now is. Here, near Brewster river, which received its name in his honor, he resided until his death, in 1833. His family consisted of eight children, five of whom …
McKay Campbell emigrated from Scotland in 1843, and in 1876, located in Cambridge, engaging in the hotel business.