Miles, Robert Parker; lecturer; born, Burnley, Lancashire, Eng., July 11, 1866; son of Harrison and Sarah (Parker) Miles; St. Stephens College, Annadale, N. Y., 1885-1888; Union Theological Seminary, 1892; married Lena B. Coburger, of East Orange, N. J., Nov. 12, 1899; ordained Presbyterian ministry, 1892; asst. pastor Rutherford, N. J., 1892-1896; pastor Ravenswood Church, New York, 1896-1897; religious editor New York Evening Journal, 1897-1899; traveled extensively as newspaper and magazine correspondent; has lectured in U. S., Canada and English-speaking countries since 1901; prin. lectures “Tallow Dips,” “Sparks and Dawn”; Progressive Republican; member International Lyceum Ass’n; Eulexion Society (St. Stephens College).
Location: Bergen County NJ
David D. Banta is the business manager and principal owner of the Riverside Mills. This mill was built by the Riverside Mill Company, Walker & Banta, in May, 1887, and conducted by that firm until the death of Mr. Walker in 1888, since which time Mr. Banta has had the sole management of the enterprise. The Riverside Mills ranks as one of the leading industries of the city, being 106 x 40 feet, and is fitted with the most improved machinery for the manufacture of doors, sash, moldings and all class of work required in building and interior finishing. Mr.
Aquackanonk Indians (from ach-quoa-k-kan-nonk, a place in a rapid stream where fishing is done with a bush-net. Nelson). A division of the Unami Delawares which occupied lands on Passaic River, New Jersey, and a considerable territory in the interior, including the tract known as Dundee, in Passaic, just below the Dundee Dam, in 1678. In 1679 the name was used to describe a tract in Saddle River Township, Bergen County, as well as to designate “the old territory, which included all of Paterson’s of the Passaic River, and the city of Paterson.” The Aquackanonk sold lands in 1676 and 1679.
Bergen was the location of the first permanent European settlement in the present state of New Jersey. Prior attempts at settlement in locations such as Pavonia, Vriessendael and Achter Col in prior decades all failed due to New Netherland and Lenape Tribe’s incessant warfare with the early settlers in all three locations. It is considered an “historical town” as during its 200 year history its municipal mass slowly eroded until 1862 when the township was dissolved. The records provided in this collection come from two annual editions of the “Year Book of the Holland Society of New York.” They represent