MRS. DR. OWENS-ADAIR. – Berthina Angelina, the second daughter of Thomas and Sarah Owens, was born February 7,1840, in Van Buren county, Missouri. She saw her fourth birthday in her father’s Western home on Clatsop Plains, Clatsop county, Oregon, her parents having made the then dangerous and tedious journey across the then dangerous and tedious journey across the plains with ox-teams in the summer and fall of 1843. At this time Berthina was a small child, delicate in stature for her age, and having a highly nervous and sensitive nature, but with a strong, vigorous constitution, thus early showing a
In a corner of the north transept of Westminster Abbey, almost lost among the colossal statues of our prime ministers, our judges, and our soldiers, will be found a small group of memorials preserving the illustrious names of Darwin, Lister, Stokes, Adams, and Watt, and reminding us of the great place which Science has taken in the progress of the last century. Watt, thanks partly to his successors, may be said to have changed the face of this earth more than any other inhabitant of our isles; but he is of the eighteenth century, and between those who developed his
Dr. Frederik Gustave Adolph Bardenheier, who is well known in professional circles as a specialist in the treatment of diseases Of the ear, nose and throat, was born in St. Louis, April 13, 1881, and he has chosen to make the city of his nativity the scene of his professional labors and successes. His father, Philipp Bardenheier, came to the United States in the early ’50s and won success along commercial line. The mother, Mrs. Helen Bardenheier, arrived in this country from the Rhine region of Germany some time after her future husband crossed the Atlantic. Dr. Bardenheier was educated
Blau, William S.; manufacturer; born in Austria, Sept. 7, 1875; son of Samuel and Katherine Blau; public school education, until 15 years of age; married, Cleveland, Oct. 20, 1892, Miss Sloss; issue, four children, Katherine, William, Jr., Sol, and Alan; three years with Cohn & Sampliner, dealers in wholesale notions; in 1883, started in business on Bank Street, with H. Friedman, in 1904, firm moved to East 37th and Perkins Avenue, incorporated as the Friedman-Blau-Farber Co., manufacturing a general line of fancy knit goods; employing over 400 people and shipping goods all over the United States; treas. the company; Republican,
Friend, Frank Carl; lawyer; born in Austria, Nov. 17, 1862; son of Anton and Petronila Friend; educated, public schools and Central High School; studied law in the office of the late E. K. Wilcox; admitted to the bar in 1884; married, Cleveland, Nov. 26, 1S90, Miss Lilly D. Davies; practiced law in Mr. Wilcox’s office until 1893, when the partnership of Wilcox & Friend was formed; this partnership was dissolved in 1904; member Cleveland Bar Ass’n; Republican; Chapter Mason; elected to the City Council in 1885; served two terms; member Board of Education, 18894890; member Board. of Health, 1906-1907; owner
Kohn, Adolph; scrap metal; born, Austria, Sept. 1, 1860; married, Cleveland, June 16, 1882, Rose Koblotz; in scrap metal business twenty-eight years, with the following companies: R. C. Koblitz & Co., Stone-Koblitz Co.; Pollock-Kohn Co., Koblitz & Kohn; Koblitz, Kohn & Co., the Koblitz-Kohn Co.; pres. of the latter company and pres. of the Euclid Prospect Investment Co.
Koblitz, Rudolph C.; merchant; born, Austria, May 15, 1863; son of Moses and Julis Miller Koblitz; educated in Tabor, Austria, and Cleveland public schools; married, Cleveland, Jan. 16, 1888, Tillie B. Smitz; one son, born Oct. 21, 1888, after attending school for three months, the English language was so hard to master in proportion to his advancement, that he became discouraged, and left school to learn cigar making, when 14 years old, he started in business for himself, and later broadened out into other lines; vice pres. The Koblitz-Kohn Co., real estate holdings; treas. The Euclid-Prospect Investment Co.; receiver The
Klein, Louis; cigar business; born Austria, Sept. 25, 1871; son of Benj. and Augusta Klein; attended public schools in Cleveland; married, Cleveland, Aug. 14, 1894, Fanny G. Gottlieb; issue, Cecile Penrose, and Ruth Helen; with Halsey & Montgomery, cigar dealers; Excelsior Laundry Co., Cleveland Steam Laundry Co., nine years with J. R. Quinn, in the cigar business; in 1907, incorporated and pres. the Louis Klein Cigar Co., with nine retail stores in the city; also wholesale business; member Elks, H. B. S. U., and the Cleveland Independent Aid Ass’n.
Lowith, Emanuel; retired; born in Austria, 1841; educated, University of Prague; married, Newark, N. J., 1880, Marie Wilhemina Schnal; served in the Austrian Army before coming to Cleveland in 1883; late vice pres. The W. P. Southworth Co.; pres. The Highland Realty Co.; member Ezekiel Lodge, No. 90, I. O. B. B.; member Chamber of Commerce. Favorite recreation: Literature.
Prosser, Joseph F.; mechanical engineer; born, Austria, March 17, 1872; son of Louis and Katerina Franck; educated, public schools in Austria; married, Cleveland, Feb. 11, 1899, Mary B. Peterka; six children, five sons and one daughter; in 1888, started to serve as machinist for C. D. Bartlett & Co.; 1892 to 1895, with Globe Iron Co.; 1895 to 1898, served in U. S. Army (Co. F, 15th U. S. Infantry), where he studied mechanical engineering in his spare time; 1898 to 1902, served at Lord & Bowler’s machine shop as mechanical engineer; 1902-1904, Macbeth Iron Co.; as erecting engineer; 1905-1906,