B. F. Admire, attorney at law, is a native of Dubuque, Iowa; commenced his law studies with Folkler & Longueville. He afterward attended the law department of the State University of Iowa; graduated from this institution June 1880; came to Oakdale, and at once entered upon the practice of his profession.
Location: Antelope County NE
F. H. Le Due, hardware, stoves, tin ware, etc., was born in Charleston, S. C.; served in the late war about two years. In 1874, came to Columbus, Neb.; worked at the tinner’s trade till the fall of 1874, when he came to Oakdale, and opened a tin shop. He afterward added stoves and hardware. From a very small beginning, he has worked into a large and flourishing business. He is now carrying a stock of about $4,000. Has been School Director.
O. P. Hurford, was born in Canton, Stark County, Ohio, in 1831; educated with the intention of entering the medical profession; reads five languages, and speaks three of them fluently; selected the mercantile business for a livelihood, and entered into business on his own account, in his native town in Ohio, in grain, milling and merchandise. At the age of twenty-two, emigrated from Ohio to Nebraska, and, in company with Mr. F. A. Schnieder, established the first hardware store, under the firm name of Schnieder & Hurford, in Omaha. In the early part of 1856, he arrived at Omaha with
E. P. McCormick, editor Elkhorn Pen and Plow, is a native of Ross County, Ohio; in 1868, came to Columbus, Neb.; engaged in the drug business; in December, 1876, came to Oakdale, and on April 7, 1877, helped to establish the paper of which he is now editor and proprietor. S. S. MURPHY, County Superintendent, is a native of Warren County, Ill.; in 1866, came to Dallas County, Iowa; there engaged in school-teaching and merchandising; in 1878, came to Antelope County, Neb.; has since been engaged in farming and stock-raising. In the fall of 1881, he was elected County Superintendent.
G. C. Palmer, County Judge, was born in Barry County, Mich., raised near Peoria, Ill.; April 1872, the family came to Oakdale. They opened a general store, which was the first store in Oakdale; continued this business until the fall of 1881, when he was elected County Judge. He was Postmaster from 1874 to 1879.
Judge I. N. Taylor, real estate, is a native of Ross County, Ohio. In the spring of 1842, came to Jay County, Ind.; engaged in teaching, lecturing and other educational enterprises; in 1860, removed to Washington County, Ill.; in 1862, came to Columbus, Neb., engaged in surveying and real estate. There he held the office of County Judge and County Surveyor, and represented Platte County one term in the Legislature. In 1871 was Secretary of the Nebraska State Emigration Society, with headquarters at Omaha; was also agent of the Omaha & Northwestern Railroad lands in Elkhorn Valley. He is one
R. Wilson, County Clerk, Clerk of District Court and Register of Deeds, is a native of Rock County, Wis.; he taught school several years; in 1873, came to Antelope County. In the fall of 1875, he was elected County Clerk. He is now serving his fourth term. From 1874 to the fall of 1875, he held the office of County Superintendent.
Albert Johnson was born in Dallas County, Iowa; removed to Jefferson County, Kan., where he lived for ten years; he then removed to Sutton, Clay Co., Neb., and, in partnership with his brother, transacting a general real estate business. After four years of successful business at Sutton, he accepted the position of cashier of the Antelope County Bank at Oakdale, Neb. In a short time, the bank found if necessary to place their lands for sale and real estate mortgage loans in one department. Mr. Johnson took the management, and is now doing a good business. He is a young
Charles F. Huntington, attorney at law, was born in Brattleboro, Vt.; was raised in Rochester, N. Y. He commenced the study of law at Pennsylvania, attended the Cazenovia Seminary in 1870, 1871 and 1872, also the Syracuse University; was admitted to the bar in the spring of 1879, in Potter County, Penn. He at once came to Oakdale, and has since engaged in the practice of his profession.
S. S. King, County Treasurer, was born in McKean County, Penn. He enlisted, in 1861, in Company I, First Pennsylvania Rifles; lost his right leg at the battle of North Anna River, Va., May 23, 1864, was discharged June 29, 1865; in 1866, came to Dodge County, Neb., took up a homestead claim, which he afterward sold; in 1872, came to Oakdale, followed farming about six years. In 1878, he was appointed County Treasurer, to fill an unexpired term; in the fall of 1879, he was elected to this office; was County Commissioner from 1875 to 1878.