R.C. Barnard, station agent and telegraph operator, was born in the District of Columbia in 1829; removed to Neb. in 1857. He platted the town site of Grand Island; removed to Omaha in 1863, where he was city engineer for several years; in 1868 removed to Council Bluffs, and engaged in the dry goods business, and in 1870 came to Sloan and engaged in the mercantile business with Beal & Evans. In 1873 he took charge of his present office.