H. T. Martin, county superintendent of schools, was born in Putnam county, Ind., in 1839; moved with parents to Boone county, Ia., in 1853. He returned to Ind. in 1855, and attended the Cloverdale Seminary for two years; spent the following winter in Mo., and in 1858 returned to Boone County, Ia. He engaged in teaching school, and for twelve years taught in that county. He then entered the employ of the railroad company and was agent at Ontario, Story County, for eight years, and for four years at Odebolt, Sac County, where, in partnership with Mr. Bennett, the present editor, he established the Odebolt Observer. He was also engaged in the restaurant business ten months. In the fall of 1881 he was elected county superintendent, on the independent ticket.