George Burgan, grain dealer and manager of D. Wayne & Co.’s business at Wall Lake, was born in Wayne county, O., in 1845; moved with parents to Muscatine, Ia. In 1862 he enlisted in the 35th la. Vol. Inft.; was at the sieges of Vicksburg, Nashville, Pleasant Hill; was up the Red river with Gen. Banks. He was discharged in 1865, and returned to Iowa. In 1867 he located in Carroll County and engaged in farming until 1874, when he engaged in the grain business. Office and warehouse on First Street. They shipped during the year 1881 one hundred cars of grain.