Alba J. Flatt. In a business way Mr. Flatt has been most prominently known in the community of Leverett in Champaign County, when he has the finest grain elevator in this section of the state and where for many years he has been the active medium through which an important bulk of the local grain production has been marketed. Mr. Flatt in recent years has had his home in the city of Champaign.
While a resident of Champaign County most of his life, Mr. Flatt was born near Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, July 6, 1863. His parents, James H. and Matilda L. (Campbell) Flatt, both natives of Canada, came to Champaign County in 1865, and both lived here the rest of their days. The father died in July, 1908, and the mother in June, 1912. James H. Flatt was for many years a well known farmer in Champaign County.
They were the parents of eight children: Charlotte, wife of William Whittmore, of Emporia, Kansas; Silas Edgar, who died at the age of eighteen; Ormond B., of Champaign; Alba J.; Carrie, wife of L. S. Rupert, of Bloomington, Illinois; Annie L., deceased; George J. of Champaign; and Ira J. W., of Denver, Colorado.
Alba J. Flatt grew up on the home farm in Champaign County, attended the local schools, and at the age of twenty-one began helping his father in the management of the large farm of four hundred eighty-seven acres near Leverett. He assumed most of the responsibilities connected with this place until he was married, and he then bought eighty acres for himself. From farming Mr. Flatt gradually enlarged his range of activities and in 1895 engaged in the general merchandise and grain business at Leverett. He has built two elevators in that town, and the second one is the best equipped structure of the kind in the central part of the state. He still continues his mercantile operations at Leverett under the firm name of A. J. Flatt & Son.
Mr. Flatt married January 5, 1887, Miss Mary F. Irle, a native of Champaign County. They have three children: Pearl L., wife of L. W. Roberts, of Leverett; Ross A., associated in business with his father as senior member of the firm A. J. Flatt & Son; and Nellie I.
In 1910 Mr. Flatt removed to Champaign and has since occupied his fine home at 1102 West Church Street. He has served as alderman from his home ward, and while living in the country was honored with several township offices. Mr. Flatt has attained the Scottish Rite Consistory degrees in Masonry and is also affiliated with the Knights of Pythias and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. In politics he is a Republican, and his church home is the Presbyterian.