Eugene H. Russell is one of the younger business men of Champaign, and is successfully managing his mother’s Belvoir Theater. The Belvoir stages high class theatrical productions and fills it with the best of the modern film productions. Recently there was installed in the theater a $5,000 Bartolo organ, and its music is now one of the important features and attractions of this fine house.
Mr. Russell was born in Champaign November 12, 1893, a son of Charles H. and Lizzie V. (Hamilton) Russell. Both parents were born in Illinois, his mother being a native of Carlinville. His father came to Champaign County when a young man and was in the hardware business for a number of years. Mr. Russell is a nephew of C. F. Hamilton, and the Hamiltons have been long prominent and wealthy citizens of Champaign County. This branch of the family history is taken up in more detail on other pages. Eugene H. Russell was the second in a family of four children. The oldest, Fenton, is now deceased. Virginia and Helen still live at home.
Mr. Russell, who is yet unmarried, was graduated from the Champaign High School in 1914 and then took a year in the agricultural department of the State University. For about four months he was connected with the Williams Garage, and he then took the active management of his mother’s theater. She is owner of the brick building now occupied by the Belvoir. Mr. Russell is affiliated with the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.