W. W. Halesworth, has been a resident of Santa Ana since March, 1872, enjoying signal success in business affairs. At first he was employed in Los Angeles city, and in the fall of 1873 purchased twenty acres of land where the city of Santa Ana now stands, which he devoted to grapevines and fruit-trees, until in 1884 he began to cut it up into city lots. ” Halesworth’s Addition” is bounded on the north by Washington avenue, east by West street, south by Hales-worth street, and west by Ross Street. The second addition which bears his name is bounded on the north by the lands of the Spurgeon heirs, east by West street, south by Washington avenue, and west by Ross street. North and south through the second addition runs Durant Street, named for Mrs. Ford, whose maiden name was Durant. Halesworth Street, running east and west, connects Ross and West streets. Mr. Halesworth’s residence on Ross street cost $10,000, and is tasteful in its architecture.
The gentleman whose name heads this sketch was born in Fulton County, Illinois, October 7, 1851. His parents, Simon and Hannah (Rouse) Halesworth, were both natives of England, who came to the United States about 1846. For a number of years he was engaged in the mercantile business in Illinois. He was married in California, September 4, 1881, to Miss Martha Durant, a native of Wisconsin, and daughter of John and Eliza Durant, natives of England.
Politically Mr. Halesworth is a Republican. He was on the first United States Grand Jury in the Southern District of California. Is a public-spirited and enterprising man, liberal and patriotic, especially zealous for the interests of Santa Ana. He is a stockholder in the First National Bank of that place, and is favorably known as a successful business man.