It was fifteen years after the admission of Vermont into the Federal Union, and forty years after the settlement of the town, before Norwich had a post office. The first post office was established at Norwich Plain, July 1, 1805, and Jacob Burton was appointed postmaster. Postmaster Burton kept the office in his harness shop on the main street of the village, nearly opposite the present residence of Mrs. William E. Lewis. Probably the duties of the office were not so great as to interfere much with the prosecution of his trade. It is doubtful if Mr. Burton had more
Postmasters of Athens. Established in 1804. Jehiel Gregory from 1804 1 quarter Eliphaz Perkins 1804 till 1821 John Perkins 1821 1839 Amos Crippen 1839 1841 John Perkins 1841 1845 Amos Crippen 1845 1849 Wm. Loring Brown 1849 1853 R. DeSteiguer 1853 1858 Lot L. Smith 1858 1861 David M. Clayton 1861 1865 E. C. Crippen 1865 1866 John F. Mahon 1866 1867 William Golden 1867 present time Postmasters of Amesville. Established in 1821. Loring B. Glazier from 1821 till 1829 Robert Henry 1829 1834 Hiram Cable 1834 1837 N. Dean 1837 1841 Loring B. Glazier 1841 1842 Hiram Cable 1842
On June 15 1855 a post office was established and was known as Camp Creek in Butler County and Nathaniel R Daniel was appointed postmaster. The name changed to Honoraville on April 27 1858. The Post office was discontinued on July 25, 1866 but was re-established again on August 15, 1867. It was discontinued again on April 12, 1868 and again re-established on July 6, 1868 in Crenshaw County. On April 25, 1871 the name was changed to Nicholsville and was discontinued once more on Sept. 12, 1872. On May 26, 1873 it was re-established as Honoraville with Alex T.