The following 17 biographies represent just a small glimpse into the history of Stephenson County Illinois. Stephenson County is one of the northern tier of Illinois counties, and is the second county east of the Mississippi. The surface of Stephenson county is made up of gently rolling prairie land, with here and there small groves and belts of timber along the streams. Flowing across the surface of the county are a number of streams which afford abundant natural water and drainage facilities. The first permanent settlement in Stephenson County was made by William Waddams, in West Point Township, at Waddams
Location: Stephenson County IL
John D. Burton. Like many of his contemporaries in the field of journalism in Southeastern Kansas, John D. Burton, proprietor and editor of the Potwin Ledger, began his career at the case. His entire life had been devoted to newspaper work, as compositor, editor and owner of publications in various parts of the country, but principally in Kansas, where he had resided and labored since the fall of 1878. While his present publication was founded only recently, it had already gained a wide circulation and promises to become an organ of influence in public matters under Mr. Burton’s wise and experienced direction. John D.
Alvin W. Miller, of Formoso, had spent nearly all his life in Jewell County; and since coming to Formoso had built up a large furniture and undertaking business and is widely known as that eity’s progressive mayor. Mr. Miller was born at Lena, Illinois, March 18, 1876. His father was the late T. A. Miller, who was born in Pennsylvania in 1841, was reared and educated and married in his native state and followed the trade of wagon making. For a number of years he lived at Freeport, Illinois, and in 1878 came to Jewell City, Kansas, where he followed
Andrew H. Miller, brother of Alvin W., is also closely identified with the business affairs of Formoso, where he is manager and treasurer of the Formoso Mercantile Company. He was born at Freeport in Stephenson County, Illinois, June 3, 1872, but, like his brother, was educated in the public schools of Jewell City. He left high school at the age of sixteen, went to work for the Robinson Mercantile Company, and had been connected with that firm almost altogether throughout his business career. In 1900 the company sent him to Formcso as manager of their large general merchandise store, which
Frederick Jones has been identified with the commercial life of Blaine in Pottawatomie County over twenty years. He came there with little besides a practical mercantile experience and had built up and become the owner of the chief store of the town. Mr. Jones had lived in Kansas since he was a boy of four years. He was born in Stephenson County, Illinois, October 22, 1875. His people were among the earliest settlers of Stephenson County. Grandfather Robert Jones, who was born in England in 1802, grew up and married in the United States and was one of the first
S. R. Worick, postmaster, was born in Stephenson County, Ill., March 4, 1842. He enlisted in the United States army September 17, 1861, in the Fifth Wisconsin Battery, and was discharged June 14, 1865, when he returned to Illinois. He came to Jewell County, Kan., in 1870, and took a homestead near Jewell City. Mr. Worick became a member of the Town Company that laid out Jewell City in May 1870. He was appointed Postmaster in November 1874, and has held the office ever since. He is a member of the A. O. U. W. He was married in Illinois,
John M. Hutchison, druggist, was born in Northumberland County, Pa., March 13, 1842, moved to Stephenson County, Ill., came to Jewell County in 1871, and took a homestead. Engaged in the drug business in July, 1873. Was elected to the Kansas State Legislature in 1878. He is a member of the A. O. U. W., and the Odd Fellows lodges. He was married March 22, 1875, in Jewell City, Kan., to Miss Temperance Jordan. They have one child – Mary Leonora, born May 14, 1881.
B. F. Royer, one of Burr Oak’s prominent citizens, was born in Union County, Pa., January 13, 1850; moved from there to Stephenson County, Ill., in October, 1868; from there to Jewell County, Kan., in the spring of 1872, and took a homestead three miles southeast of Burr Oak, and still owns the same. Mr. Royer is a waggonmaker by trade, and followed that business from eighteen years of age until he was thirty-two; commenced running a wagon and blacksmith shop of his own in the spring of 1873. In 1882 he bought the livery, barn and stock of O.
Former Ellensburg area resident Hilda G. Rader, 90, died Monday [January 16, 1984] following a short illness in Modesto, Calif. She had been living in California with her son and daughter-in-law since 1980 She was born in Freeport, Ill., on Jan. 3, 1894, one of eight children of Christian and Marie Brunn. Her father emigrated from Sweden in the early 1880’s and her mother, Marie Horz [Hertz], was a native of Germany. The Brunn family moved to the Kittitas Valley shortly after the turn of the century Mrs. Rader was graduated from Ellensburg Normal School and taught in public schools
Adam Whitmer, farmer; P. O. Humbolt. The subject of this sketch was born in Perry Co., Ohio, Dec. 26,1832; he married Miss Olara Jane Bugh Nov. 1, 1864; she was born same place Jan 11, 1838; they have three children, viz., Laura, Elmo and Eva. He lived in Ohio until 1854, when he came to Illinois and settled in Crawford Co., where he lived one year; he then went to Dakota and engaged with a Government surveying party; he camped for two and a half years, where Yankton now stands; he lived in Dakota until 1859, when he went to