United States Soldiers of the Civil War Residing in Michigan, June 1, 1894 [ Names within brackets are reported in letters. ] Burr Oak Township – Roswell Wilcox, Orrin M. Brooks, Stephen Gilkerson, Henry Kiser, William H. Wells, Alfred Sargent, James Billman, George Hackman, John J. Van Vorst, Leonard 0. Green, John Botzner, Henry W. Fretter, Harlow C. Gilson, Abner G. Van Vorst, John W. Green, Philip Rusher, Erwin Tisdal, George Skimp, James Prouty. Village of Burr Oak – George Sheffield, David H. Carter, Anton Miller, John C. Rollman, James Downs, Seymour H. Hogle, Albert Slingerland, George Robinson, Leander B.
Location: St. Joseph County MI
Wallace R. Bowman, Sr., 73 years old, 27198 Oak Drive, died Aug. 20, 1988, at the Veterans Administration Hospital, Fort Wayne, Ind. He was born July 19, 1915, in Elkhart County, Ind., a son of Frank A. and Carrie (Lampe) Bowman. On Feb. 4, 1943, he married Marion Schrader in Hot Springs, Ark. She died March 12, 1978. On April 6, 1983, he married Nancy Hunt in Sturgis. He was a Sturgis resident most of his life and was employed at the Kirsch Company. For 42 years, he had operated the B & W Tavern, retiring in 1983. He was
David Bailey. In the latter part of 1854 or the early part of 1855 Mr. Bailey moved to Monticello, Illinois. After a short sojourn there he came to Urbana, and in March or April, 1856, moved to Champaign, where for a number of years, in connection with W. B. Bailey, he conducted a small country store in a frame building that he erected on the site now occupied by the Robeson Department Store. David Bailey was one of the thirteen men who founded the First National Bank of Champaign, in 1865. Application for organization was made to the government in
Edward V. More. Of the families of Champaign County whose industry and activities of life have contributed materially to the prosperity and upbuilding of the community one of the most highly respected is that which bears the name of More, and which has a worthy representative in Edward V. More of Rantoul. Mr. More, who is engaged in the fire insurance business at this time and whose energies have taken him into other fields of endeavor during a long and uniformly successful career, was born in St. Joseph County, Michigan, and is a son of James R. and Louisa M.
The profession of the law, when clothed with its true dignity and purity and strength, must rank first among the callings of men, for law rules the universe. The work of the legal profession is to formulate, to harmonize, to regulate, to adjust, to administer those rules and principles that underlie and permeate all government and society and control the varied relations of men. As thus viewed there attaches to the legal profession a nobleness that cannot but be reflected in the life of the true lawyer, who, rising to the responsibilities of his profession, and honest in the pursuit
Judge Charles Wheeler, judge of the city court of Muskogee, was born in Three Rivers, Michigan, November 11, 1856, and is a son of Ransley and Electa (MacOmber) Wheeler. The father was a miller and farmer and active business man. The son obtained a country school education and afterward attended the preparatory department of Hillsdale College, where he pursued the regular four years college course, graduating in 1882 with the B. A. degree. Later he became a student in the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor. His law studies were pursued in an office in Kalamazoo, Michigan, and later in
William N. Smelser has been a member of the Emporia bar for twenty-five years. His had been an enviable record both as a lawyer and as a citizen, and his ability, industry and his conscientious care have brought him a high position among Kansas lawyers. His family have resided in Emporia more than thirty years, and William N. Smelser was about fourteen years old when brought to that city. He was born in Sturgis, in Southern Michigan, February 2, 1870. The Smelsers came originally from Germany, but have been Americans since about the time of the Revolutionary war. The first
Edson R. Bowman, 64, who had lived in Sturgis and vicinity for the past 40 years, was the victim of a heart attack last night [August 7, 1944] on the Charles Seeb farm. Death, which occurred at eight o’clock, came after Mr. Bowman had desperately worked to prevent a grass fire from spreading on his farm two miles from Sturgis on South Nottawa Road. Mr. Bowman had decided to burn off a dried-up pasturage area near his home which got beyond his control. Even with his wife giving assistance by carrying water it became evident that fire apparatus would have
Frank Athol Bowman, 65, died Sunday [March 25, 1951] afternoon in the Sturgis Memorial Hospital in Sturgis, where he had been admitted for treatment Saturday. He had been ill a long time. He was born in Hartford City, Ind., April 3, 1885, a son of Sylvester and Dorcas (Simonton) Bowman. He had been employed as a tool and die maker by the H. A. Douglas Manufacturing Co. and Reel Manufacturing Co. here and also had been employed in Sturgis by the Kirsch Co. Surviving are the widow, Carrie (Lampe) Bowman; a son, Wallace of Sturgis; a daughter, Mrs. Howard (Geraldine)
William Levi Bowman, 28, living with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Edson R. Bowman, a mile and a half southwest of Nottawa, died this morning from an injury received in 1927 while he was in the U.S. Army. Mr. Bowman enlisted in the army I 1920 and served at Fort David in the Canal Zone until 1923 when he was discharged. He re-enlisted two years later at Grand Rapids. In 1927, while at Fort Sheridan, he fell 41 feet when washing windows and struck on some concrete steps. He sustained a fractured skull and injured ankle. He was taken to