For nearly two hundred and seventy-five years the Packard family has been one prominent and influential in New England, and it has become a most numerous family, too, many of whose members both at home and abroad have given a good account of themselves. Samuel Packard, the immigrant ancestor of this family, became one of the early settlers of the ancient town of Bridgewater, and all of the name who have gone from the Bridgewaters were probably descendants of his; in fact, nearly all of the name in this country can be traced to that place. The genealogical records following
Location: Saratoga New York
FELTON, Fannie Skinner Todd7, (Samuel6, Eliel5, Samuel4, Samuel3, Samuel2, Christopher1) born April 16, 1823, in Enosburg, Vt., died Dec. 28, 1900, in Bridgeton, N. J., married May 14, 1845, William C., son of Capt. William Felton, of Franklin, Vt., who died Aug. 9, 1866, in Saratoga, N. Y., to which town he had moved the preceding year. Children: I. Albert Devitt, b. Feb. 9, 1848, in Franklin, Vt., d. in 1880, in Saratoga, N. Y., married June 13, 1872, Ida M. May, in Saratoga, N. Y., and while there he was a physician. Issue: (1) Nina May, b. June 14,
Hiram Lawrence Todd7, (Samuel6, Eliel5, Samuel4, Samuel3, Samuel2, Christopher1) born Oct. 6, 1818, in Enosburg, Vt., died March 8, 1884, in Saratoga, N. Y., from the effects of a fall on the ice. He married Amanda, daughter of Elias Babcock, of West Berkshire, Vt., who died March 8, 1889. He was a talented physician and practiced his profession at Fair Haven, Vt., and later at Saratoga Springs, N. Y. Child: *1414. Vernon Lawrence, b. Jan. 8, 1846.
In the Village of Saratoga, N. Y., is a spring that has always been regarded by the ancient Mohawks as being very sacred because of its healing powers. It was called by them, “The Spring of the Great Spirit.” Near it is an inscription which reads, “This sacred spring of the Mohawks was known as the Spring of the Great Spirit and it is now known as The High Rock Spring. The first white man to visit it was Sir William Johnson in 1767. General George Washington, George Clinton and Alexander Hamilton visited Philip Schuyler at this spring in 1788.”
A pleasant tour awaits the traveler who continues his journey north from Albany, where the Delaware and Hudson train for Saratoga is ready at the landing on the arrival of the steamer. A half hour’s run along the west bank gives us a glimpse of Troy across the river with the classical named hills Mount Ida and Mount Olympus. Two streams, the Poestenkill and the Wynant’s Kill, approach the river on the east bank through narrow ravines, and furnish excellent water power. In the year 1786 it was called Ferryhook. In 1787, Rensselaerwyck. In the fall of 1787 the settlers
Bradshaw, George T. dealer in grain, coal, flour, feed, paints, etc., opened business in 1876. The firm of Knight, Bradshaw & Potter are proprietors of Fairport Flouring Mills, which are located at Fairport, fifteen miles northwest of Russell. These mills are 38×40 feet, three stories high, built of stone in 1879, at a cost of $12,000. The mills are propelled by both steam and water. The capacity is sixty barrels in twenty-four hours. Mr. Bradshaw first came to Russell in April, 1871, with the Northwestern Colony. He was born in Schenectady County, N. Y., in 1836, and reared on a