Dr. Alex. Bear, physician and surgeon, is a native of Virginia. After completing a common course of studies, he attended the University of Virginia, in 8554, 1855-56; graduated from the University of Maryland in 1860; in 1865, came to Fremont, where he took up the practice of medicine; he also practiced in West Point from 1871 to 1873. He then came to Norfolk, where he has since been actively engaged in the practice of his profession. He is the oldest practicing physician on the Elkhorn Valley. He has been a member of the State Senate two terms, and member of
Location: Norfolk Nebraska
Carl Asmus, general merchandise, was born in Prussia; came to West Point, Neb., in 1867; the following year he went to the Rocky Mountains; in the fall of 1868, returned to West Point, took a homestead, engaged in farming, and, later, in the liquor business; in 1871, came to Norfolk, opened a small store. His business has rapidly increased. He now owns and occupies a very fine brick store 23×80 feet, built in 1880, cost about $8,000. By strict attention to business, Mr. Asmus has acquired this and other property since coming to Nebraska.
W. H. Widaman, Postmaster, is a native of Montgomery County, Ohio. There he was raised. He enlisted, April 17, 1861, in Company C, First Ohio Infantry; served three months; he reenlisted in the Second Ohio Infantry and served to the end of the war. In 1866, he came to Madison County, Ill., and followed milling about four years; also engaged in milling in Henry County, about three years. In 1873, he came to Boone County, Neb., and followed farming about one year. In the fall of 1873, he came to Norfolk, and ran the Norfolk Mills about three years. He,
J. Koenigstein, druggist, is a native of Bavaria, Rhine. In 1854, came to Cincinnati, Ohio. In 1855, went to Monroe County, Ill, and worked on their farm. In 1859, came to St. Louis, and learned the drug trade. In the fall of 1861, he enlisted in Company F, Forty-third Illinois Volunteer Infantry; served three years and eight months, was wounded, and taken prisoner at the battle of Jenkins’ Ferry, Ark. April 30, 1864, was confined in Camp Fort, Tex.; released February 15, 1865, and returned to Monroe County, Ill. In 1871, came to Watertown, Wis. There opened a drug store;
Hon. Charles Mathewson. A brief sketch of the life and character of the Hon. Charles Mathewson, may appropriately be introduced in connection with the history of the town, which owes its present prosperity more to his energy and business ability than to any other cause. Col. Mathewson, as he is most frequently called, was born in Brooklyn, Conn., March 24, 1812. His worth and abilities were recognized by his fellow citizens of Connecticut, by their electing him twice to the State Legislature, and three times to the State Senate. During the war of the rebellion, he evinced his patriotism by
Dr. F. Verges, physician and surgeon, was born August 21, 1833 in Prussia. He commenced the study of medicine in 1854, in Cothen Homoeopathic Medical College; graduated in 1856; practiced in his native country till 1868, when he came to Chicago in the fall of 1868; came to Nebraska in 1869; came to Pierce County, and took a homestead of 160 acres, which he improved. He now owns 480 acres, which is one of the best improved farms in the county. In the spring of 1880, he came to Norfolk, and has since followed his profession; has been County Commissioner
F. Wegener, proprietor of the Norfolk House, is a native of Prussia. In 1851, he came to Jefferson County, Wis., and followed farming about three years; he then ran a saw-mill several years; sold this mill in 1859. He then opened a general store in Watertown, Wis., and continued this business about ten years. In 1870, he came to Norfolk, opened a boarding house and saloon, and three years later he built the Norfolk House, this being the first hotel built in Norfolk; has since carried on this business. He was married in 1854, to Amelia Hans, of Prussia. They
C. S. Hayes, jeweler and dealer in musical instruments, is a native of Orleans County, Vt. In 1871, he came to Cedar Rapids, Iowa, learned his trade with A. C. Taylor, where he worked four and one-half years. In 1876, he removed to Blairstown, Iowa; there opened a jewelry store, where he remained about five years. July, 1881, he came to Norfolk, where he has since carried on this business in all its branches. He carries the most complete stock of watches and jewelry, silver and plated ware, musical instruments and sewing machines of any house in Northern Nebraska. Mr.
Hon. Samuel W. Hayes, firm of McClary & Co., general merchandise and coal, is a native of Strafford County, N. H. In 1849, went to California, where he remained about three years. In 1852, came to Burlington, Iowa. Was employed in the construction of the Burlington & Missouri Railroad; continued with this company about eight years. Was commissioned Commissary Sergeant in the Thirty-sixth Iowa Infantry; remained with the regiment till the spring of 1866. He then came to Fremont; engaged in merchandising. In the fall of 1873, came to Norfolk, where he has since been engaged in merchandising. Was a
B. W. Jones, groceries and crockery, was born in Mecklenburg, Germany; learned the tailor’s trade; worked at it there about seven years. In 1872, came to La Porte, Ind. There he followed this trade. In 1875, came to Adams County, Iowa; continued at this trade. In 1879, came to Wisner; was clerk for August Dorrman about six months; also at Oakdale. He, with Mr. Dworak, bought out Mr. Dorrman; continued this business about three months. He then sold out his interest, and came to Norfolk; opened a restaurant, with a capital of $85. Six months later, he opened a crockery
J. G. Pollock, agent of the U. P. R. R., was born in Washington County, Iowa. In 1862, then being eleven years of age, he enlisted in Company E, Thirtieth Iowa Infantry, as drummer boy; remained in the service about one year; was discharged on account of physical disability; returned to Washington County; soon after went to La Grange, Mo.; there learned telegraphing; was employed with the M. & W. R. R., and later with the C., R. 1. & P. R. R. as agent at Plattsburg and other stations; continued with the company three years. He then was appointed
C. Selah, editor of the Norfolk Journal, was born in Tazewell County, Ill.; came to West Point, Neb., in 1871, and there worked on the Republican. In 1876, he, with Mr. Bartlett, bought out and published the Neligh Journal. In November, 1877, he and Mr. Bartlett established the Norfolk Journal, which has since been ably conducted by Mr. Selah.
George B. Fletcher, attorney at law, was born February 20, 1845, in Lowell, Ohio; raised in Anamosa, Iowa. After finishing his preparatory course of studies, he attended the Sinsinawa Mound College about two and one-half years. About the close of the war, he went south, and was connected with the Government service. In 1867, returned to Jones County. The following year, he removed to Dubuque, Iowa, and commenced reading law with Barker & Shields; returned to Anamosa, and continued the study of law with George W. Field; was admitted to the bar at Council Bluffs, July, 1870. He then went
Herman Gerecke, of the firm of Pilger & Gerecke, lumber, is a native of Prussia; came with his parents to Dodge County, Wis. In 1854, there worked on a farm. December, 1861, he enlisted in Company C, Sixteenth Wisconsin Infantry; was discharged on account of a wound received in battle April 6, 1862. The following year he came to Decatur, Neb.; again enlisted in Company C, Seventh Iowa Cavalry; was mustered out May 26, 1866. In 1869, he came to Norfolk; followed the mill-wright trade until1878, when he, with Mr. Pilger, established that business.
J. S. McClary, of the firm of McClary & Co., dealers in general merchandise and coal, is a native of Onondaga County, N. Y.; raised in Madison County. N. Y. At the age of seventeen, he came to Boone County, Ill.; was employed as Civil Engineer for the Old Galena & Chicago Union Railroad, now the N. W. R. R; continued in the employ of this company about five years, afterward employed as conductor on the I. C. R R. about three years, running from Centralia to Dubuque; also employed with the B. & M. R R. about one year;
John E. Olney, dealer in general merchandise, was born in Windham County, Conn. At about the age of eighteen, he removed to New York City; there employed as clerk. In 1861, he came to Decatur, Ill., and there carried on the grocery business. In 1869, came to Norfolk, when he, with Col. Mathewson, now deceased, engaged in general merchandising and milling. This partnership continued until January, 1881, when he withdrew from the mill and became sole owner of this store. He owns and occupies one of the finest, if not the finest, retail store in the State. This structure is
A. P. Pilger, dealer in stoves, tinware, hardware, etc., was born tn Washington County, Wis. In 1871, he came to Norfolk and opened the tin shop; soon after added hardware and stoves to his business, which he has been constantly increasing; now doing a business of about $20,000 a year. Mr. Pilger is a member of the Town Board, School Board and other local offices.
Dr. D. R. Daniel, druggist and physician, is a native of Independence, Va. In 1869, he commenced the study of medicine; came to Omaha March 17, 1872. In the fall of this year, he attended the State University of Iowa, and graduated from the Washington University, of Baltimore, February 24, 1876. He has practiced medicine in Norfolk and vicinity since 1873. In the fall of 1876, he was appointed United States Examining Surgeon of Pensions He has also been Examining Surgeon for the Union Pacific Railroad. November, 1878, he opened this drug store, which he has since continued.
I. B. Donaldson, of the firm of I. B. Donaldson & Co., Norfolk City Bank, is a native of Morrison, Whiteside Co., Ill. In 1869, he was employed in book-keeping at the First National Bank, Morrison, Ill. Has since been engaged at this business. February, 1882, came to Norfolk, and established this bank.
A. Bigelow, wines and liquors, born in Wyoming County, N. Y. There he was raised. He enlisted in 1862, in Company A, First New York Dragoons; served three years. In 1866, he came to Clayton County, Iowa, and engaged in the liquor business. In 1870, he came to Madison County, took a homestead of 160 acres, located six miles north of Norfolk; this farm he has improved, and now rented. In 1875, he came to Norfolk, and has since been engaged in this business. He is also agent for Krug’s Omaha Beer.