James Willis Gleed, general attorney for the Southwestern Bell Telephone Company of St. Louis, was born at Morrisville, Vermont, March 8, 1859. His father, Thomas Gleed, now deceased, was a native of England, who came to America during the ’30s, settling at first in Canada, but later he removed to northern Vermont, where he resided to the time of his death in 1861, when he was but thirty-five years of age. In early manhood he had wedded Cornelia Fisk, a native of the Green Mountain state and a representative of an old New England family that was established in Massachusetts
Location: Morrisville Vermont
Morillo Abial Spalding. In Morillo Abial Spalding the thriving community of Dearing, Montgomery County, has a citizen who has contributed to its upbuilding a conservative and reliable general mercantile business, who formerly, for eight years, carried on the drug business, and whose long experience in a commercial way has been a decided factor in helping his city to better things. Mr. Spalding was born at Morrisville, Vermont, February 13, 1856, a son of A. W. and Mary (Tenney) Spalding, a grandson of Warren Spalding, a Vermont farmer who spent his life there, and a member of a family, which originating
Charles S. Gleed was born in Morrisville, Vermont, March 23, 1856. His father, Thomas Gleed, was a leading lawyer of Vermont who held various public offices and who, while still a young man, died as he was about to enter the army in 1861. His grandfather, the Rev. John Gleed, was an English missionary preacher of great force of character who came to the United States for the purpose of participating in the movement against slavery. Mr. Gleed’s mother was Cornelia Fisk, a woman of rare intelligence and refinement. His grandfather was Moses Fisk, a Massachusetts pioneer in Northern Vermont.
Jedediah Bingham, from New Hampshire, came here in 1811, and settled on road 75, upon the farm now owned by H. B. Sturgis. He died February z8, 1870. Four of his children are now living, though he had but one son, Charles E., who resides on road 36.
William Small, of Amherst, N. H., served all through the revolutionary war, and at its close received an honorable discharge, and the balance of his pay due in Continental money, which was almost worthless at that time. In 18,2, with Patience, his wife, and six children, he removed to this town. The two eldest children, William and George, remained in Amherst until 1818, when they too came to the town. George was born at Amherst, July 1, 1789. The same year he came to Morristown he married Orpha Wilkins, of Amherst, who still survives him. As a result of this
Joseph E. Noyes, son of Oliver Noyes, came to this town about 1818, married Sarah Sawyer, and built the brick house now standing on the corner of Main and High streets, where he resided until his death, August 30, 1830. Mr. Noyes was engaged in mercantile pursuits, carried on two farms, and dealt largely in real estate. Mrs. Noyes died about thirty years ago, leaving four sons.
Jonathan Douglass, from Richmond, Vt., came here in 1825, and located upon the farm he now occupies, on road 71. He married Sally Cole and reared ten children, six of whom are living.
Thomas Cheney, born in Plainfield, N. H., in 1795, came here in 1827, and located upon the farm he still occupies. He married Sally Stevens, who died November 5, 1881, after rearing a family of eight children. William S. Cheney, son ;of Thomas, resides in Morrisville , Mary S., a daughter, is the wife of N. A. Terrill, Adelia is the wife of Henry Bryant, and Sarah, wife of Loyal Hoyt, resides in St. Lawrance county, N. Y.
Lucien H. Hadley, son of Abraham Hadley, was born February 12, 1816. At the age of twelve years he came to this town to reside with his grandfather, Moses, on road 36. He married Caroline C. Bingham, and had born to him three children, James M., Jane M., wife of A. B. Spurges, and Elmer V., all of whom reside on the same road. Lucien has resided on the same farm since 1830.
Horace Powers, from Croydon, N. H., came to this town in 1832. He first located at the Four Corners, where he remained until 1856, then removed to Morrisville, where he died, in December, 1867. He was a physician and surgeon by profession, and practiced until his death. In 1833, he married Love E. Gillman, who still survives him, and who bore to him three children two sons and a daughter. The daughter died when only three years of age. George E. was a sergeant in Co. E, 3d Vt. Vols., and died of diphtheria, February 6, 1862, while home on