Enterprise, Wallowa County, Oregon Ruth B. Coryell passed away at St. Mary’s Medical Center in Walla Walla on May 22, 1984. She was born January 24, 1896 at Fort Wayne, Indiana, daughter of John Bushong and Jennie Riser Bushong. She was married to Floyd Ritenhouse (dec.) and Harry Coryell (dec.). She was a home maker most of her life. She is survived by two sons, Floyd William Ritenhouse and Robert D. Ritenhouse; three daughters, Dorothy Dacey, Edna Pae, and Lorraine Coryell; 14 grandchildren, 33 great-grandchildren. Funeral services were held at the Wallowa Cemetery at 1 p.m. on Friday, May 25.
Location: Fort Wayne Indiana
Enterprise, Oregon Larry Edward Gibson, 60, of Alder Slope, died Saturday, April 5, 2008, with family members at his side. Larry was diagnosed with an extremely aggressive form of brain cancer and died after a six-month fight and a short hospital stay. Larry was born in Portsmouth, Ohio, and raised in Fort Wayne, Ind., where he graduated from Bishop Luers High School in 1966. He continued his studies at Lewis University in Lockport, Ill., where he earned a BS degree in political science and history, with a teaching endorsement. He also served six years in the military policy in the
L. G. Roberts, dental surgeon, Mattoon; was born in Ripley Co., Ky., Jan. 18, 1846; his father, R. B. Roberts, was a dentist by profession, and a minister in the Christian Church; his father came with his family to Indiana when L. G. was but 3 or 4 years of age, and in the fall of 1864, he came to Illinois; his education was derived mostly from the common schools; at the age of 18, he entered the dental office of Dr. Allen, in Ft. Wayne, Ind.; in 1864, he worked under instructions with Dr. Moore, of La Fayette, Ind.;
Donald W. Mcleod is one of the prominent and well-known citizens of Riverside and has been identified with many of the leading public enterprises of the colony for the decade of years preceding 1890. Mr. McLeod is a native of Nova Scotia, born at Scotsburn, Pictou County, November 18, 1841. His parents, Duncan R. and Annie (Fraser) McLeod, were of Scotch descent. Mr. McLeod was reared upon his father’s farm, and early in life became familiar with the practical duties of farm life. He was given the advantages of a good education, and at nineteen years of age graduated at
Samuel C. Evans, one of the most prominent men of Riverside, and who has spent over fifteen years of an active business life in conducting some of the largest business enterprises in the colony, one of which is the Riverside Land and Irrigation Company, came to Riverside in 1874 and purchased a half interest in nearly 10,000 acres of land, known as the Hartshorn tract; the land is now known as the Arlington part of Riverside and Arlington Heights. Captain W. T. Sayward, of San Francisco, was the owner of the other half. These gentlemen in the same year commenced
George W. Suttonfield was born at Fort Wayne, Indiana, February 14, 1825. His father, Colonel William Suttonfield, a native of Virginia, was in the regular army, under General Harrison, in the Black Hawk war. He built the first house in Fort Wayne and lived there until his death, which occurred in 1841. His wife, Laura (Taylor) Suttonfield, was a native of Connecticut. They had six children, of whom the subject of this sketch was the fourth. He attended Wabash College at Crawfordsville, Indiana, for four years, and in 1849 came to California. He started from Fort Smith, Arkansas, in April,
Henry J. Rudisill. Among the men who for years were prominently associated with the leading enterprises and industries that gave to Riverside that prominence in the history of Southern California that is unequaled, and spread before the people in the marts of the world, her unrivaled productions that induced immigration and brought an unceasing flow of wealth to the beautiful valley, none is more worthy of mention than the subject of this sketch. Mr. Rudisill came to Riverside in February 1875. In the same year the Riverside Land and Irrigating Company was organized and at once assumed control of the
Metea, A Pottawatomie Chief
These directories represent a large collection of Fort Wayne, Allen County, Indiana directories covering the years of 1858-1923 (not inclusive). These 15 volumes may provide the researcher with valuable data on their Fort Wayne ancestors such as specific address, occupation, business name. These directories are most valuable during the years of 1881-1899 as they can serve to supplement the missing 1890 census. 8 of the 24 directories which cover that specific period, with 6 of those in the 1890-1899 time span. One of the listings is a Bell Telephone Directory for Fort Wayne. As such, it will only contain a listing for those residences and business which had a telephone at the time.
HON. ELISHA P. FERRY. – Mr. Ferry was born at Monroe, Michigan, August 9, 1825. He studied law there and at Fort Wayne, Indiana, and was admitted to the bar in 1845 at the age of twenty years. In 1846 he removed to Waukegan, Illinois, where he engaged in the practice of his profession. He resided at Waukegan until July, 1869, when he removed to the territory of Washington. He was the first mayor of the city of Waukegan. In 1852 and in 1856 he was presidential elector for the district in which he resided. He was a member of