Location: East Randolph Massachusetts

Genealogy of the Reed and Loud Families of Abington, Massachusetts

These families, Reed and Loud, allied by marriage, are still represented in the ancient town of Abington, where for three generations the Reeds have been engaged in the lumber business with other lines connected with it. Reference is made to the late Amos S. Reed, to his son, the late Maj. Edward Payson Reed, and to the present Arthur B. Reed, son of Major Reed, all active business men, prominent and influential citizens of what is now North Abington. Both the Reed and Loud were early Weymouth families, and we take up the records in order. There follows from William Reed, the immigrant ancestor of the North Abington Reed family alluded to, chronologically arranged, the genealogy of the family.

Descendants of Jonathan White, Brockton, MA

HON. JONATHAN WHITE, for sixty years a member of the Plymouth county bar and a citizen of note in what is now Brockton, Plymouth Co., Mass., was born Aug. 22, 1819, in that part of Randolph called East Randolph (now Holbrook), Norfolk Co., Mass., son of Jonathan and Abigail (Holbrook) White. The Whites have lived in this section of Massachusetts from the time of the earliest settlements, and the members of the family in every generation have upheld the honorable name. Mr. White’s lineage from the immigrant ancestor follows: Thomas White, probably from England, was in Weymouth as early as

Biographical Sketch of Alden, Lewis

Alden, Lewis, son of Lewis and Abigail (Belcher) Alden, was born in East Randolph, Norfolk County, April 29, 1848. He received a common and high school education. Between the ages of seventeen and twenty-one he worked in the shoe factory of L. F. Wilde & Co. Later, for nearly five years. He worked for Rufus Gibbs & Co., boot and shoe jobbing house, Boston—most of the time in charge of their factory at South Weymouth. He established himself in business in Holbrook, 1878, entering his present factory (boots and shoes) 1885. Mr. Alden was married in Saugus, June 1874, to