Entered “Y” work at Camp Greene Dec. 8, 1917, as Educational Secretary, Bldg. 106, and served there until August. On March 1, 1918, became Camp Education Director, serving actively until August 29, 1918, when he assumed the duties of county organizer of Alabama war work. Resigned from Y. M. C. A. war work service to enter Industrial Branch of Y. M. C. A. Present address, Erlanger, N.C.
1st Class Private, 105th Amb. Corps, 81st Div.; of Nash County; son of Richard and Mrs. Annie Oliver. Entered service March 1, 1918, at Rocky Mount. Sent to Camp Jackson. Transferred to Camp Sevier, Greenville, S. C. Mustered out at Camp Sevier, S. C., July 16, 1919.
Little Son of Mr. And Mrs. J. Oliver Dies Today Billy Oliver, the little son of Mr. and Mrs. J. Oliver, died this morning at the St. Elizabeth Hospital from blood poisoning caused by a slight prick of a nail last Monday. The funeral will be held from the residence of Mrs. B. Leonnig, 2444 Grove Street, tomorrow afternoon at 3:30 o’clock, Rev. William Westwood officiating. The Baker Herald – – January 15, 1918.
Buena Vista Indians (Spanish: pleasant view ). A descriptive name applied to one or more Shoshonean or Mariposan tribes living on Buena Vista lake, in the lower Kern River Drainage, California. By treaty of June 10, 1851, these tribes reserved a tract between Tejon Pass and Kern River, and ceded the remainder of their land to the United States.
Jackson M. Oliver, farmer and stock-raiser; P. O. Charleston; was born on the old homestead in Charleston Tp., June 16, 1851. He is a son of George and Fannie (Lumbrick) Oliver; his father was a native of North Carolina; born in Rockingham Co., in that State, June 16, 1819; his parents afterward removed to Putnam Co., Ind.; there he lived until 1840, and then came to Coles Co., where, on the 2Sth of August, 1840, he married Miss Fannie Lumbrick. a daughter of James Lumbrick, one of the early settlers of the county; she was born in Rocking- ham Co.,
Oliver, J. W. dealer in general line of dry goods, notions, clothing, boots and shoes, hats and caps, and groceries. He opened the trade June 6, 1879, under the firm name of Oliver & Michaelis, and changed to the present style in January 1882. He occupies rooms 22×72 feet, first floor and basement; carries an average stock of $18,000. He came to Russell in May 1877, and engaged in the hotel business until March 1879. He was born in Wabash County, Ind., in 1840; lived on a farm until twenty-one years old; he then enlisted in Company H, Seventy-fifth Illinois