Lemuel Thomas, born in Woodstock, Vt., came to Stowe in 1818, and located at the lower village, where he engaged in farming, in connection with the business of wool-carding and cloth-dressing. After several years, however, he devoted his whole attention to farming, until seventy-nine years of age, when he took up his residence with his son, Weston L., and died in his house at the age of eighty-nine years. Weston L. and Isaac are the only children of Lemuel now living.
Location: Stowe Vermont
William R. Cheeney, horn in Westford, Vt., came to Stowe, in March, 1818, and located on road 42, where Orlo B. Town now resides. About the year 1850, he removed to road 41, where he died, July 9, 1881, in the seventieth year of his age. His widow, Olive E. Savage Cheeney, resides with her son, William R. Cheeney.
Abial H. Slayton, from Woodstock, Vt., came to Stowe about the year 1821, and located on road 48, where his son, Abial H., now lives. He died here in 1831, aged thirty-five years. Three of his sons, Jerome B., Azro C., and Abial H., are residents of the town.
David Davis, born in Milton, N. H., came to Stowe with his father in 1827. In 1835, he located upon the farm he now occupies, on road 21.
Zebina Luce came to Stowe at an early day, and located near where O. J. Benson now lives, and afterwards moved to the farm owned by Lysander Barrows, where he resided until his death. His son, Byron, born here, resides on road 42.
John McAllister, of Scotch descent, was born at Sharon, N. H., in 1772, came to Stowe in 1804, and located on West Branch. His youngest son, D. J. McAllister, now owns most of the old homestead, though the residence is owned by Mrs. Jane Sanborn. He was twice married, first to Mrs. Priscilla, Smith, May 17, 1796, and second to Miss Mary McKinney, who was the mother of all his children. Mr. McAllister was at the battle of Plattsburgh, and served his townsmen in many positions of trust. He was the father of thirteen children, most of whom arrived at
STOWE is situated in the southern part of the county, in lat. 44° 28′, and long. 4° 20,’ bounded northeasterly by Morristown, southeasterly by Worcester, southwesterly by Waterbury, and northwesterly by Cambridge and Underhill. The town originally contained an area of 23,040 acres, chartered by Benning Wentworth, governor of New Hampshire, June 8, 1763, to Joshua Simmons and sixty-three associates, in seventy shares. It was named after a town in England, and originally spelled S-t-o-w, the a having been annexed during the last forty years. In 1848, the legislature passed an act annexing to its territory the town of Mansfield,
Jonathan Barrows, from Bridgewater, Vt., came to this town about 1828, and died here in 1870, aged sixty-five years. He had a family of seven children, as follows : Henry, Nathan, Lysander, Harriet, Chauncey, Lucia, and Alvinzy. All but Harriet now reside in the town.
William Morrill, born in Alton, N. H., came to Stowe in 1829, at the age of seven years. In 1844, he located upon a farm on road 45, where he remained until 1862, when he removed to the Lower village, where he now resides.
Moses H. Cady came to Stowe from Randolph, Vt., in 1830, and commenced a mercantile business under the firm name of T. B. Downer & Co. This firm did a successful business for about two years, after which Mr. Cady continued the same alone two years, then formed a co-partnership with Elisha Cady, continuing this connection about three years. He then took Thomas Emerson, of Windsor, Vt., into partnership. Mr. Emerson was a banker, and supposed to. be wealthy , but after about three years some of his speculations proved disastrous and he retired from the firm. This disaster also