Location: Prairie du Rocher Illinois

The Wierschem Family of Prairie du Rocher Illinois

One of our literary geniuses has remarked that the history of any locality is but the history of its great men. The destinies of splendid empires are shaped by the personalities of their rulers, and a whole people sometimes owes its prosperity to the energies of one man, who stands at the head of the state. And in a community this principle is even more forcibly demonstrated, for here the thoughts of a few leaders permeate to the farthest boundaries and shape the thoughts of the masses. Viewed in this light, how significant do the biographies of prominent men become!

Maurice Frawley

The Frawley Family of Prairie du Rocher Illinois

A very beloved inhabitant of Prairie du Rocher is Mr. Maurice Frawley. He was born in beautiful Ireland, in County Limerick, in the year 1833. Here he spent his childhood, went through the parish school, and was married to Miss Mary Crimmins on February 4, 1859. Of their children only a daughter is still alive. They came to America in 1862, residing in New York until October, 1865, when they joined the westward tide and came to St. Louis and continued their residence there until 1872. That year Mr. Frawley and family moved to Kidd, Monroe County, Illinois, and rented

The Siegfried Family of Prairie du Rocher Illinois

Anton Siegfried, whose address is Red Bud, Illinois, Rural Route #3, was born in Elsass, Germany, July 26, 1852. After leaving school he worked for his father on a farm until 1872, when he immigrated to America, direct to Red Bud. For a while he worked on a farm, and in 1876 rented a farm. In 1888 he became a dealer in cattle and hogs. In 1891 he went to Ruma and opened a meat market. Seven years later he also opened a general merchandise store. Mr. Siegfried did not confine his buying to live stock, but also bought and

Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Eichenseer

The Eichenseer Family of Prairie du Rocher Illinois

John Eichenseer, who gets his mail through Red Bud, Illinois, Rural Route No. 3, was born March 3, 1863, in Madonnaville, Monroe County, Illinois. After leaving the parochial and public schools he worked for his father until his marriage, which took place October 28, 1890. Miss Mary Wierschem was his bride. Then he bought a farm of eighty acres, and has lived here ever since. Mr. Eichenseer reared a family of ten children – four sons, Vincent A., Leo William, Herman A., and Bernhard F; six daughters, Ida E., Christina A., Theresia A., Veronica F., Anastasia M. and Angela M.

Residence of George J. Seitz, Prairie du Rocher

The Seitz Family of Prairie du Rocher Illinois

George J. Seitz, the well-known liquor dealer, was born August 11, 1870, in Ste. Genevieve, Missouri. After attending the public and parochial schools, learned the trade of butcher and at the age of 20 went to St. Louis, working at his trade for some time; then he returned to Ste. Genevieve, and in 1894 he went to Prairie du Rocher, working for Mr. Hauck, the butcher. From 1906 to 1910 he conducted a hotel and two years later, in 1912, he started a saloon and has conducted it ever since. Mr. Seitz is a Democrat, and is popular. He acquired

Mr. and Mrs. John P. Ellner

The Ellner Family of Prairie du Rocher Illinois

Among the more prominent farmers inhabiting the region of Prairie du Rocher is Mr. John Peter Ellner of Rural Route #2. He is a native of the State of Missouri, where he was born in the town of Herman on August 18, 1872. However, his parents were of an adventurous disposition and not satisfied with the opportunities offered by our neighbor state, removed, in 1876, to Horse Prairie and later, in 1881, to Ruma, Illinois. Here the family at length found a pleasant home and remained in that district. Here Mr. Ellner received his education by attending both the public

John Brickey

The Brickey House of Prairie du Rocher Illinois

Nearly every town has an old house with an interesting story. Prairie du Rocher has several, one of which was the Brickey house. Unoccupied for many years, this large three-story, square-framed house with its wide porches, stained glass, shuttered windows, and mansard roof attracted the attention of the most casual visitor to the village. It stood among large trees of a generous plot of ground below the bluff, it silently proclaimed the hospitality that once was known there. The fine iron fence that enclosed the grounds emphasized its air of detachment.

St. Joseph's Church and Rectory as originally built in 1858 and 1868 respectively

History of St. Joseph Church Prairie du Rocher Illinois

St. Joseph Church Prairie du Rocher, Illinois, was established in 1722 as a chapel dependent upon the royally endowed church of Ste. Anne at Fort Chartres. King Louis XIV of France had dreamed of a great French empire in Mid America, but died before he could bring his dream to reality. Following his death in 1715, the regent, Philip of Orleans, ruling for the boy King Louis XV, commissioned Pierre Duque Boisbriant to found Fort Chartres in 1718 on the mighty Mississippi, midway between Quebec and New Orleans, to be the capital of the new French empire in Mid America.

M. H. Palmier

The Palmier Family of Prairie du Rocher Illinois

M. H. Palmier was born June 5, 1877, near Prairie du Rocher, Illinois. He attended the parochial school and after leaving school worked for his father until 1893, then he went to Prairie du Rocher and worked until 1897, when he went to Red Bud, Illinois, and was clerking in the hotel and cafe. It was here he met his wife (nee Miss Dillie Miller) and married here January 28, 1901. Four children bless their home, viz: Phillip D., Berthram J. L., Wilmarth M., and Goldie A. Palmier. For a short time he engaged in the liquor business in St.

F. M. Brickey

The Brickey Family of Prairie du Rocher Illinois

Two years prior to Missouri’s admission into the Union, October 16, 1819, Franklin W. Brickey saw the light of day in Potosi, Missouri. He attended the public schools and at the age of 19 he came to Illinois. In 1838 he started in business at Fort Chartres, supplying steam-boats with wood and general merchandise. Enterprising and with great foresight he became interested in the Red Bud Mill. In 1858 he erected the present mill at Prairie du Rocher, and at that time his property in Fort Chartres had been swept away by high water. He afterwards started the general merchandise